View Single Post
Old 20-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #29
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just landed my first graduate offers (engineer), and here's what I've found.

Get any offer first. It doesn't matter who for, or doing what, as long as its in the industry you're trying to get into. I applied for a small automation business which I frankly thought was beneath my skills. After 2 quick laid back interviews, I got an offer.

This gives you a bargaining chip. Now ring up the places you really want to work for. Tell them you already have an offer expiring in a limited time, and they'll bend over backwards to get you in the door for an interview.

In my case, through a contact, I was put onto Worley Parsons in Mackay. They rang me for just an investigatory phone interview, where I mentioned the initial offer was expiring in a fortnight. Wednesday the next week (which was last Wednesday), they flew me to meet them, and in my hands at the moment I have an offer at a higher salary, and better training program.

There was another company I had an application in, and was keen for, called NEMMCO. A couple of days after the initial screening phone interview, I rang them back and told them of the two other offers, and asked what sort of time frame they had in mind for 2nd interviews until offers, as well as numerous questions about their program to show I had interest. The HR lady said they weren't planning on holding the very first interviews until the week starting the 29th, but she'd make some phone calls to see what she could do. 15 minutes later she rang me back with an interview date for next Friday.

Next step, if I get an offer from them as well, play them off against each other...

Its not an easy process, I've been looking on and off for the last 6 months, but just get a foot in any door, and others will open.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote