View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #15
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Hardly.

Ford is Ford globally. Same design strategies, same access to parts and buying power, input into engineering and everything. Building the Focus in South Africa would be like building the Barina in South Africa if we want to get technical. If Ford were to do an equivalent, they'd dump the Fiesta, rebadge Hyundai Getz. : No Thanks.

Holden are deliberately dumping a premium priced safer, better built vehicle which has already won them a Wheels Car of the Year award, for something cheaper, simpler (and not an engineer in the world could argue safer, better built or classier - it's Korean. Not one company can go from building Daewoos to something even approaching a Euro hatch. Not even a Fiat...). All in the name of profit. Sure they're a business that needs to be competitive, but it just reeks of less choice for them in the end...

And more sales for Fiesta.

So I support 2 vehicles form Holden FULLY.

The Adventra

And the new Korean Built beep beep breakdown Barina
That's right - you work for Ford! :1syellow1

Holden's full name- General Motors Holden ; Daewoo - General Motors Daewoo. All owned by the same US based company- same as all the Ford branches all over the globe. PS: Last time I checked Ford didn't own Hyundai either! ;)

The Jag X Type runs a Mondeo floor pan and variations on Ford's Duratec V6. Why, because Ford own Jaguar. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples too, eg. talk of the new Focus using a Volvo engine.

I always find the people who have never owned a Korean built car are always the quickest to condemn them.... Most buyers in the small car category aren't concerned about their new purchase being the best handling vehicle- price is the biggest factor (value for money etc.) BTW the people on this forum of course are an exception.

The Euro Barina has certainly had it's problems since first introduced. The GSi's were infamous for the top end of the engine falling apart, I've also heard of clutches failing at low kms on lower models. European sourced cars certainly aren't the best as some would believe (I should know as I've owned a couple!) If Holden put some effort into the suspension/ handling of the newly sourced Daewoo and supervise quality control they could easily have a winner.