View Single Post
Old 18-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #48
Mick K.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I love those Mazda6s. I reckon they are tops. There is even a turbo version out or is comming out by memory it had 190kw.
Have you driven a Mazda6 - and you still like them??

I recently compared Vectra CD 2.2 and Mazda6 2.3 Classic auto hatches and the Vectra has a higher quality cabin, much quieter engine, and an extra ratio in the gearbox. Noise and harshness are a lot more apparent in the Mazda.

Mazda is probably a bit better in the external styling department, and gets a rear spoiler and trip computer, but the RRP is about $2k more, requires PULP and needs servicing every 10K as opposed to 15K. Both good cars, but IMHO Vectra is a bit better.

Mazda's marketing & advertising people have done a fantastic job with the Zoom-Zoom-Zoom campaign - "soul of a sports car" etc. Compare the current image of Mazda6 compared with the cardigan and lawn bowls image of the preceeding Mazda 626. It has sucked in a lot of buyers as well as a good chunk of the motoring journalists.

While I think the Vectra is a better car, the success of Mazda's marketing means that sales volume and consumer awareness are higher, and resale is better - so this is actually making me consider a car I like less, just because it will be easier to offload in 3 years at a better price.

Pity the current model Mondeo isn't around in Aus to compare to these two large hatches. Who know's I could have a Mazda6 in my garage by the end of this financial year.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote