View Single Post
Old 22-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #297
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

That would be correct if we followed the assumption that people are only going to hand out rep points for posts that help them individually - which looking at what has happened so far is not always the case.

Certainly the mods and admins have handed out rep for posts that have been of benefit to others as have some individuals so the theory that helping out newbies is of no benefit falls down somewhat at that point.

People who are helpful by nature will be helpful regardless - whilst earning recognition from your peers in the form of reputation is nice, it should never be the primary reason that you decide to offer some help or advice.

Cheers
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I guess the best thing to do is see how it all unfolds. Either it takes off quite well and we see more members like gcg2503, who are relatively recent & have low-ish post counts, flourish with this rep/rep power thing, or all the old-time & senior members will have all the rep & all the rep power (due to the system not really being utilised by all).

I've handed out no points so far. But, let's just say I'm searching for answers to 50 questions I have, I find 50 useful posts, all equally useful to my 50 questions. Is it first-in-best-repped?

I fully get the smiley faces and how they work, you can instantly pick out the members who contribute a lot of useful info (other than just having large post counts). The rep power itself though I see as skewed/unfair. The poster who helps out a senior member with something gets more "rep" than the poster who helps out 10 newbies. Theoretically.

Observatio Facta Rotae