View Single Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

No, Steve's actually right.

It's called a 'symposer'.

And it's sole purpose is to, using acoustic transduction (a fancy way of saying 'like putting a glass against a door, and putting your ear on the other end) it sends sounds of the engine into the cabin. I believe it's outlet is at the base of the windscreen infront of the driver.
I also believe the Focus is the first car to use the technology.

It's supposed to eliminate higher frequency turbo whistle and replace it with a big, beefy, hairy-chested growl.

Sounds naff, but it works.

Having said that, I get a fair bit of road noise in mine, but i think the Continental tyres might be the cause of that issue. But they're not a bad tyre so that's the trade off i guess.

What a lot of guys on the xr5 forum do is get the rear resonator (the last muffler) removed and replaced with a glass packed hotdog muffler or just a straight through length of pipe.

I'm yet to hear one in the flesh, but it reportedly helps to 'announce your arrival' a little better. :sm_headba
Cheap mod too, most places will put the straight through pipe in for about $50.

The car could really use an LSD though, i think you can get em for about $1500. If (read: when) i start throwing money at this car i might start with that rather than fiddly little mods to squeeze a few more neddies out of it.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote