View Single Post
Old 19-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #36
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gtb 351 - 1983 To Now And Beyond!

I then bought some nice light welds, goodyear slicks and moroso frontrunners and found out why they don't like radials on the front with rags on the rear: the car behaved so much better - you could hold it in the burnout - it did'nt wander all over the track, and boy did it hook up better!
I solved the toploader blues thanks to Mick Agius who always ran a manual in his gassa monaro, he put me onto a guy who built me a killa clutch which was also so streetable compared to my old button set up. The car could now lift both front wheels at launch -

The car had run a 12.1 at 117 with the old clutch. This was with breaking the toploaders input shaft changing into 4th ( I think it usually went thru the traps doing 6800 rpm in top?). It was always shifted at 7300-7500 and limited at 7500. I was sure that the car had an 11.7 in it with this set up but threw a rod on the run where the photo was taken with air under the front tyres. The car had run at nearly every street meet for the previos 3 years and the motor was to get a freshen up for xmas. The motor I have been running in the GT since I got it on the road was identical to the one in the black coupe except I dropped the comp to 10.2, dry sumped and injected it.

I could'nt afford to build a new motor at this time so the 460 and C6 from my F100 was borrowed. Ron at the 4,6 & 8 Shop got me some hurricane headers, pan and engine mounts and it all fell straight in (tailshaft from the close ratio box was ferfect fit). The C6 had a shift kit but standard converter, the tunnel ram and gas carbs were removed and a std manifold fitted and the 830 from the GT motor fitted.The 3.7 gears went back in and the result - 12.1's all day and I found shifting at over 5000 rpm was a waste of time. The 60 foots were a terrible 2.0 and the auto took all the fun out of it. This was how the car stayed until drag racing died at AIR. I did build a warmer 460 for it but its still sitting on the engine stand next to the car in my shed.

I will resurect the old girl one day!

GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote