View Single Post
Old 18-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #304
Phil B
Clevo power!

Default Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck View Post
Hi guys.
I was reading your post and have a suggestion based on something that happened to me.
Had done a tune up. New cap, rotor, plugs points, and ummmm( having a brain fade.) that little silver cylinder inside the dizzy.??

Car ran ok . About 2 months later I decide to go for a cruise. Get about 1 klm from home and nothing. Car stops. Crank it nothing. Lift the hood and have fuel but no spark. After a few F- words I ran a wire from battery to points bypassing that ( is it resister)??? little cylinder.
Yep got spark. Rang a mate and he grabbed an old one and away we went car running fine.
Brand new part was faulty.
The crimping for the connector to the resistor/points was not touching the wires inside the plastic coating. Inside the little rubber block that sits in dizzy housing
I noticed in your pic the resistor looks new. I had purchased a bosch unit.
Maybe same problem you have. Worth a look
Thats the capacitor over the points to stop them burning isn't it? Which if its a dud would explain the points being bad so soon. Could be at least part of the problem.

Also definitely going to an electronic distributor as soon as I can get one. Just gotta make this old one last till then. Getting my mechanic to look at it this arvo, so he should work it out.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote