View Single Post
Old 18-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #45
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Finally - 2nd Airport for Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
That's true for capital to capital, but a high speed train would make the "in between" cities more attractive and a real alternative to the capitals.

It's quite easy, and economical to travel by plane between Sydney and Brisbane, what about Byron to Brisbane or say any of the larger towns between Sydney and Melbourne to go in either direction?
If the distances fall under the 500 mile rule then yes, the problem might be passenger numbers, significantly more people move from capital to capital which in europe and North America can tip the balance in favour of the infrastructure expense and keep ticket prices reasonable. In Australia I dont see the population to support it without major subsidy. And I don't see this country making that leap anytime soon. I have no data however on the scale of the passenger numbers on routes like you suggest.

Please don't get me wrong I am an advocate for rail and High speed rail, public transport in general, to do it would be a project of 'Nation building' proportions and 'national pride' rather than a pure economic imperative. I have built a career out of it. But the facts in australia, economically, financially and socially dont stack in its favor. perhaps when petrol costs $2:15 and our cities are so crowded with cars and carparking costs $100 a day will demand for decent Public transport rise and a paradigm shift in the public's thinking change.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote