View Single Post
Old 23-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Forest Bear

I got my silver Zetec in October 2005. It's an auto because I prefer it over the manual and I let my g/f drive it occasionally.

I had a TS Astra before and wanted the next one but a 1.8l engine just didn't cut it.

Looks - The Zetec is the best looking of the garden variety 2.0 Focus'. I'm a fan of germanic design. Its a classy, sporty and youthful car. It has presence and is a mildly menacing little devil looker. Chicks definitely love it. The interior is not as spunky or cutting edge design as the exterior but its still easy on the eye and very functional. Mind you if the Focus's engine, drivetrain, suspension and wheels were transplanted to the 3door Astra I'd go for the Astra.

Power - Suits me fine. Prod the throttle hard and suddenly enough and I get wheel spin. The thing needs traction control. The engine is smooth but it sounds like a vacum cleaner. Not the best exhaust note. Chain driven camshafts was definitely a plus for me. I wouldn't have bought it if it was belt driven. The auto works very well in most situations. The tiptronic is not very responsive at all but it does give a good oompf when gears are held especially in 3rd.

Ride and Handling - The ride is as good as any other car but the handling is phenomenal for a car of this type. It is mad around the corners. Very well balanced. You always feel in control even when you hear the tyres scream, lose a bit of traction and the tail gets off the track. Easily tamed animal. Heck of a lot of fun and joy to drive.

Fit and finish - Mine is pretty good. Well tops. The paint was flawless. There is no cabin rattle or squeaks which is one of my strictest criterias.

Problems - Had a dud catalytic converter which packed up at 120km but it was replaced and everything is fine.

Bad - Warning tones about opened doors, seat belts will drive you insane. Seats are okay but they are not up to scratch for a car this agile. CD stereo is okay but bog standard on features. No MP3 support. 3mm Audio jack in glove box is useful but inconveinient. When operating wipers and lights you can hear relay switches in the fuse box under the glovebox. Pretty pedantic of me but its still annoying. Rear wiper too small.

Photos
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote