View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
KarlInKG
Starter Motor

Question MB 2.3 Duratec HE stalling possible fuel pump issue

Ok so a bit of a saga. Two weeks ago my MB 2010 Mondeo started randomly stalling. It would start again fine, sometimes straight away sometimes after a delay.

I took it to the local Ford dealership who diagnosed a P0744 fault code (intermittent TCM fault) and told me the vehicle is a write-off. Basically the cost of a new transmission or even a 2nd hand one takes it beyond economical repair. I was pretty depressed but something told me they must be wrong.

I took it to an independent mechie who came back with the same result. He said there are a lot of random codes popping up but the P0744 keeps coming back every time. Mind you he didn't get to see it stall.

Ok so I took the car out of the independent's workshop and basically couldn't get it home, it would initially stall every 300m or so until it finally wouldn't start at all. I got it taken home on the transporter while I thought about what I was going to do with it.

So, after a lot of pondering... Prior to taking it to the independent I got stuck in the Bunnings car park - it stalled and on restarting ran like a dog, as if only running on 2 cyl's, not enough power to move, it stalled again after running like that for about a minute. After about an eterity (traffic was building up behind me as I was at a roundabout in the carpark) it finally started properly again so I raced over the round-about and into an vacant area of the car park. After driving around there a few minutes I prayed solidly as I drove it home - no more stalling that day. The next day of course it ran fine in taking it to the independent and then stalled as I mentioned above.

So, at home I have been trying it over the past few days. Yesterday I noticed as I was trying it in the dark that just prior to stalling the interior light would fluctuate in brightness. Eventually last night it stopped for good. Now when I turn on the ignition there is no 1 second buzz of the fuel pump starting. So, I'm strongly suspecting I have the bad fuel pump connector problem others on the web have had. I checked the fuel pump fuse tonight and it is intact.

I really want to have a look at the loom and connector for the fuel pump but have not been able to find anywhere where it is located on the MB 2.3 Duratec HE - Aug 2010 MB. I'm starting to get a bad feeling that I may have to drop the tank to get at it. Can anyone tell me how to access the fuel pump on this model?

I'm posting this same post on Ford Australia Forums.
KarlInKG is offline   Reply With Quote