View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #42
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Welding fuel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
when I use to work at a tank degassing place in my youth many many years ago (prier to my apprenticeship as a diesel fitter)
we worked on road and rail tankers and part of my job was cleaning them to ready for hot works (as well as assisting in the hot works , and im still here now)
we use to fully fill them with water unboiled (how do you boil water in a road or rail tanker ? ) and leave for 24hrs then drain and get inside and with (the correct) cleaning agents scrub clean the inside with a high pressure steam cleaner , and then refill with water to remove any residue cleaning agent

ps avgas needs to keep the moisture out and has something inside to assist this ~ I learnt this the hard way after starting the fill process and had to get in waist deep to remove this and unfortunately dropped it dur in the removal
Hello,
So what were you welding?
Were you cleaning tanks or welding tanks?
Were you pre cleaning tanks for the welders to repair?..or cleaning them because they were contaminated and another product was going in?

I worked on the fuel supply for F 111 fighters in 1978 at Amberly Air Base.
So I worked on the supply pipes from the Tank Farm to the hangers.
I watched RAAF personnel clean the fuel tanks on these planes,at a distance,they used steam cleaners,chemicals etc and the poor defenceless buggers went into the wings etc.

The security guards took my 110 film cartridges from me when full,24 images,they gave them back all developed with anything sensitive missing,ie..negatives cut out,I probably got 10 pics per 24,eh free development.

The only time I have filled a fuel tank with water,(20,000L) was another avgas tank farm,very small,2 tanks,half in and half out the ground and a besserblock containment wall in case of leaks.
It was Maroochydore airport in 1979,it was filled so it would not float out of the concrete after the pour.
We welded the supply pipes not tanks,but they float out of the concrete!.

Cheers Guillaume.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote