View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: The Overland - end of the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
A fast rail line if done properly would cut the time between Melbourne and Sydney to below 3 hours. (Now I know infrastructure is not something this country does properly but bare with me) I reckon once you factor the trip to the airport, security screening, the flight and then mucking around at the destination airport and having to travel from there to the city would make up a good chunk of 3 hours on its own.

The Overland is dying because it’s an old heap of crap train that hasn’t kept up with the times.
High speed rail will never work in this country unless:

*Petrol / diesel doubles in price
* Our population doubles (or triples)
* Rego / insurance / road taxes on a car goes up (a lot) making car ownership the exception not the norm.

In other countries high speed rail works due to the above.

Most western countries owning a car to get around - even on the weekends is the way it's done.

Look at countries with high speed rail and it's the exact opposite.

It also doesn't help that there is little population between many of our capitals that would make the line economically viable.

With the overland route in question, I wonder if it can be utalised for container movement at night to keep the cash flow going?

I don't mind long distance train travel (either slow or fast) however it's often far cheaper to drive if time permits.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: