View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #1050
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

So there you have it, Commodore gone which many could see. The brand may follow which is a pretty profound thing to consider. And not so profound, as brands come and go, new things rise, time passes. But this one had the Australia's Own mythology (that they later diluted with some memorable Korean product). I do wonder if the alloytec V6 and the size of the VE caught them out. I'm going to keep Dad's VY...

US Execs have a history of misreading overseas markets within an incredible success of the global culture of the USA. Some of what they have done is pure success and global coverage like a Coke, Nike, McDonalds, Jack Daniels, Apple, Netflix... and some makes you think wtf, like Chevy and ManU sponsorship. Or hoping Australian RWD buying Commodore fans would downsize and go to FWD. Applying new edge design to the AU, after Taurus already bombed.

Ford Australia will outlast them, tip of the hat to how it is being managed through some pretty tough times - end of Falcon, Ranger success, Mustang success, keeping the Engineering section, developing cars for India and China... Before that, the success of the Territory which was brilliant product design and timing.

Camry will be last man standing. It's the only mid/full size FWD that sells, and it's falling as the passenger car steamroller ploughs on. Everyone's tried - Avalon, Malibu, Mondeo, 6, Epica, Taurus, Maxima, ZB, all of them sell not much here. Perhaps because we're a big, mostly dry continent that's mostly snowless RWD will be a better choice.

The last bit, Holden is caught in the same storm force wind that's ripping through the whole auto industry. Plants being shut, less sales, inventory building, dealership evisceration. A paradigm shift on the horizon somewhere soon. Maybe. A mix of the old 'trade blocs' going up, and the predicted EV/Solar/battery decimation of auto and oil that Tony Seba predicts. The USA tends to oscillate between periods of global engagement and isolationism - witness GM abandon RHD markets...

Or maybe there's some seriously ugly stuff out there (saw 3 Koleoses today) and buyers like me are hanging back? Maybe we're tapped out? Maybe we don't care any more after Aussie cars are now gone? Maybe we're waiting for electric to stuff the petrol bills?

So grab your popcorn, do up an old Falcon like an XA while you watch the auto world burn. What will be reborn from the ashes?

Last edited by Sprintey; 11-12-2019 at 11:28 PM.
3 users like this post: