View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #1359
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
On a positive note,
We've just put on eight trainees into our engineering/ technical support group
The applicants at stage 1 were 400 and of them, the kids were so good that we
could have picked up to 150 of them all top notch kids, it was really tough to narrow
it down to just eight to train.

So you see I have a completely different view of kids wanting a job, we see the driven ones
where as I guess you tend to see more of those in the 5.3% unemployed but looking for work
group that are less than motivated. I wonder if that's because we already have lots employed.
You're exactly correct there jpd. There a still a lot of really driven young people who are vying for those good jobs, and sometimes we do tend to lose sight of that.

We have a nephew who has just completed his uni studies and commenced as a graduate engineer with a great company in Brisbane. This young bloke has amazed us his entire life with just how driven and focused he is, despite considerable tragedy in his young life. This included the loss of his dad from cancer when he was still only seven, followed by the violent death of his brother about four years after that. Adversity seems to have made him stronger and I just know he's going to go onto great things.

The situation that really concerns me in Australia though, is exactly what jstanovic refers to in his post. It's that multitude of people that once found work in the more 'everyday' and unskilled type jobs. There was a time when people in those jobs were completely happy and took pride in what they did. Their work was extremely important in the big scheme of things and certainly helped in keeping everything ticking over.

Sadly, now it seems that there's a lot of people who just can't seem to be bothered performing those unskilled roles. Is it because the social security safety net it a little to comfy for them? Is it the disappearance of those many family-run businesses who gave their workers a sense of belonging, in turn fostering loyalty, I don't know.

Somehow we need to turn it all around and get the kids all back to school and the adults all back to work!
This user likes this post: