View Single Post
Old 17-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #7015
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I don't get the storm in this teacup.

Aust government allows people to travel from NZ to Aust if they are coming from a non-hotspot.

No restrictions on travelling from NSW to VIC. Or NSW to other states with open borders with NSW.

The whole bit about only being able to fly to certain states is Scomo playing political games... and trying to punish the states he deems to be dragging the chain ie QLD in the main part.

If they flew into Sydney and stayed there for 14 days would it be an issue?.. not that it makes any difference or sense for that matter.

But the question I have is that given this is essentially one-way travel what are those kiwis going to do when they arrive? There is a serious unemployment issue in Australia at the moment.
Because us Vics have been locked down for a very long time, and just at a time we are starting to look to open up, we can ill afford to have arrivals that we haven't planned for. Tourists are here for a good time, not a long time. They will be out and about mingling and mixing. Vic is not quite ready for that yet. Even with some social restrictions easing this weekend, we are not in the same scenario as any other state. We still have 150+ active cases, 4 times that of NSW, more than 10 times that of QLD.

My beef is that we haven't had a chance to plan for it, and poor (or lack of time to plan), was a key contributing factor to the initial outbreak.

Those coming to vic are probably here for family reunion...another key factor of the initial outbreak. There is not much a tourist can do with a 5km travel restriction, and even with 20kms, its a waste of time.