View Single Post
Old 14-03-2023, 04:52 PM   #81
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Your Favorite Car Sound

My sister spent a month in South Africa with her partner over Christmas. I found out the other day that she got a flame-thrower ride in one of his mates "Porsche".

Of course, I had to ask, what Porsche.................only a 911 GT3 RS! Roll cage and all.

Now, my sister is a bit of a petrol head like me but isn't crazy about power and torque. Well, she wouldn't stop gushing about how amazing the experience was. You know, the sound, the performance, the fact it sat dead flat in the corners.

Of course, I am soooooooooooooooo jealous. I have been fortunate to drive and experience a number of special cars over the years. I have even managed to drive one of my dream cars, on a track no less. But a Porsche with one of those ultra-high revving 4.0 flat 6's is on the bucket list.

Hot sounding 6's have always intrigued me. Although to be clear, mostly for the induction note and not the exhaust note. (I think we all know how bad a big exhaust sounds on a V6 Holden or Inline 6 Ford, or even the Ford Ecoboost V6's).

There was an era in the early 2000's where BMW had the subtle rasp engineered into all of their Inline-6's, from the base 2.2 to the 2.5 and 3.0. And of course, those delicious 3.2 M-Power engines with the 6 individual throttle bodies.

Alfa V6's, the VW VR6 and first-gen Honda NSX all made good noises. I even liked how raw the naturally aspirated Barra sounded in BF and FG spec.

Naturally aspirated Porsche flat 6's seem to be the candle bearer for great sounding 6-cylinder engines these days. Turbo's have just muffled so much of the good sound, to the point where it's engineered back into them via a speaker in the cabin (BMW, I'm pointing at you!). Not to mention 6-cylinder engines disappearing from cars most people can afford.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote