View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treny
NZ XR6 / Yeah spot on tramlining! It is not pulling to one side and on decent roads it steers perfectly.
There is no tramlining with the 16" wheels.

A bit of background to my story. Mondeo wagons in NZ all come in a basic specification with 16" steel wheels - roughly equivalent to the LX spec in Oz. About 6 months ago I fitted 17" Zetec alloys and 235/45 Bridgestone RE001 Adrenalin tyres. The grip on smooth roads was way better, but I wasn't happy with the steering feel on bumpy roads - some tramlining, and slight wheel shimmy felt through the steering at times. Plus the steering felt less accurate, and the initial turn in was slower. I refitted the standard wheels at Christmas, and the steering feels much better - no way will the 17s be going back on.

So I'll do my best to wear out the standard Goodyear Excellence tyres before winter and try to sell the 17s. I'll then fit a set of light 16" alloy wheels with some decent tyres.

If you have 17s, and do most of your driving on rough roads, then I would thoroughly recommend changing to 16" wheels. You will not believe the improvement in the steering and ride.