View Single Post
Old 16-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
asteele-xr6

Default Re: 2016 MD Mondeo idle issue

The trip meter usually does a good job of calculating what your remaining range is, but it bases that range on a recent period of driving behaviour.

I do not know what the recent period is, but lets assume its based on the last 30 mins of driving. So, if the in previous 30 mins you have been cruising at a steady pace, then the predicted range is going to extended to suit... but if you have been accelerating hard etc, then that range is going to come down.

If you understand that the trip computers uses a combination of remaining fuel and recent driving characteristics, then that might explain the different numbers you are seeing.

My driving roads and attitude is going to be different to yours, but in my 2.0T I typically average 10.5L/100km, and if I refill when the tank is empty as per the trip computer, then I can expect to have travelled about 530km.

I know that my trip computer leaves me 50km in reserve when the range is reported to be 0 (easy to verifying this by seeing how much fuel is required to fill the tank - if it only needs 57L to fill up, then there must have been about 5L still in the tank, there's my 50km reserve!).

It's a very bad idea to run the tank to empty, the lust gulp of fuel is going to be full of contaminants sitting at the bottom of the tank... but, I often push my refuelling to 20 or 30km past the trip computer range reporting 0 - if that coincides with a convenient refuelling location... and it means I am getting nearly 580km from a tank... and have seen as much as 725km when doing very long highway cruising.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote