View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #71
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Future of Car Collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The profitable return you might get from a sort after AU, BA or FG in 15 or 20 years can only be truly realized if you mothball the car today, don't drive it, and don't pay the yearly registration or keep it insured.

15 years of indexed for inflation registration and insurance costs would be a minimum of $1,500 a year = $22,500.
20 years would be $30,000 plus.
i parked my BA GT up last year but its comes out to play every year but not daily driven and its insured for laid up, if i keep it 15 years unused and garaged but keep the servicing up to date its will cost $6k then there is the cost of the car to add and I will gain $11k just in inflation based on 3%.
so if the car doesn't go up $17k in value over that period its not worth it

so its not worth mothballing a generic car as its just not going to up that much. i'm hoping a 1of1 colour GT will be worth it but i'm not selling it, I want to keep it and put it back on the road once my daughter is ready to learn to drive, i loved learning to drive a v8 manual kingswood and cooper S mini and I want her to experience that too

p.s. we had quite a few collector cars and bikes in my family but we are not collectors, we just like them and we didn't get them to collect or make money, if they are worth similar money when we sell them that's a bonus
cars we have:

'03 BA GT 1of1
'76 HX 50th Anniversay
'80 Suzuki GS1000ST
'65 HR Special Wagon
'76 mini clubman
'70 XW Wagon
'66 XP sedan
'83 XE Spac
'76 2x RX4's

non of them were bought to collect, only to drive and build as projects
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue