View Single Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Had this issue myself recently, and it's not the first time on the S2. The S1 has never had any issues, as the mirror is held onto the window metal by a small Allen Screw.

S2 they went a cheaper route. The metal base (which glues to window) is a different shape, which is annoying as I tried to put a S1 mirror onto the S2 base, but alas no joy!

If you have a S2-3 and the mirror base falls off the glass, replace the whole lot with a S1 setup, that way you shouldn't have the vibration issues.

The Reason:
The S2-3 mirror just slides on the base with no screw to hold it firm. Over time, the metal rail on the mirror itself loosens as it loses tension. the actual rail (clip) is only held to the mirror with two rivet type thingy's!

The Potential Fix:
1. New Mirror!
2. Use epoxy glue or similar to apply to these rivets to stop the metal rail (clip) from moving around.

the first time it happened to me (a few years ago) I replaced the mirror. A few years later on (two weeks ago) it's started again and I tried the epoxy solution.

The Result:
It's heaps better, but not as good as when I replaced the whole mirror.

If you choose to get one from a wreckers, look carefully at the metal clip and the two rivets. If there's any movement, get another.

If you get a new item, SWEET!

A Thought:
It might be possible to actually drill out the rivets and try to use small screws to reattach the clip/rail, but there doesn't appear to be too much mirror material to actually screw them into. If you're going to get another mirror, I guess it's be worth a go though. Nothing to lose!

Another Thought:
If there's a chemical you could apply to the windscreen to dissolve the glue holding the mounting plate, so you could get it off undamaged, you could replace the whole lot with the S1 setup.

Anyone know of such a product?

Hope this helps.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote