View Single Post
Old 19-04-2024, 06:42 PM   #53
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Zephyrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
Would never have thought of doing that. Mine must have been a Christmas-rush build, as after a few years it started to leak at the curved ports on the hockey stick mild steel pipe.

When it still leaked after pulling it off half-a-dozen times with the bolts holding the stick to the downpipe warped from the heat (at least their nuts were brass), and the bloody exhaust-heated inlet manifold and fuel pipe having to come off each time, and using absolute tubes of exhaust putty, in desperation I put a straight-through muffler on to reduce pressure, then finally a set of Sonic custom-made extractors and quieter muffler (I didn't want to spend money on a then-new hockey stick that could have the same issue). Waste of bloody time. Also fiddly to fit the aluminium spacer blocks to the curved head ports - more putty.

).
I had a set of "Speco" ( I think ) extractors on my Mk2.
They had the curved blockey bits that fitted the head attached to the individual pipes moulded in, with gaskets included.
Bolted straight in, no leaks in the engine bay. 2 inch exhaust came out just in front of the RH rear wheel. ( You could do those sort of things in the olden days )
lra is offline   Reply With Quote