View Single Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #38
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
First up, nobody is feeling sorry for anyone, theres no need to, what we are doing is encouraging the "stick it to the man" attitude. He's openly admited he broke the law, but theres no harm in him doing what he can to save his hip pocket.

The idea of a fine is SUPOSED TO BE primarily a deterant, secondly a punishment, and LASTLY to cover the costs of the policing involved to issue that fine in the first place.

The way things have gone now though is fines are primarily government revenue, secondly, cost covering, thirdly punishment, and LASTLY DETERENT (especialy when your hidden behind a bush - that deters nobody).

Punishing people for something thats already happened and raising revenue does not prevent accidents like the one your brother had, the only way to prevent accidents is to detere people from the dangerous behaviour to begin with. If police made thier prescence known you would find the ammount of dangerous driving would reduce, but so would the amount of fines - thus the revenue - this is why they do it

Youve said it yourself, your brother did nothing wrong and the accident still happened, so it doesnt matter weather your speeding or not, breaking the law or not, or wearing jocks or boxers, you could hit someone either way, which makes the whole brother ordeal a little irrelevant in this discussion.

I say use every avenue available to get away with anything you can, weathere its right or not. I dont ride a high horse, some things that people get away with I think they shouldnt have, but I still say good on them for having the backbone to question it in the first place.

After all, the law can take us down on technecalities (1km over the limit, spare tyre defects, not indicating for long enough, not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, etc etc), so were all just as well in our rights to get off on technicalities too to offset the cut and dry wording of some laws.

Lighten up.

Good post and I couldn't agree more.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote