View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #843
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It's a bit more work but have you thought about getting something older (and therefore lighter) and then renovating the inside to make it modern and how you want it.

Make sure you check out the max ball load rating, and rear axle rating on your XV too, not just the max tow capacity. Not sure about how the cvt will cope but the engineers who built the car obviously deemed it to be ok.

My last trip I put my swan over a weighbridge. I had very little food on board and empty water tank and just clothing and bedding in the van, and it was just shy of 1400kg, to give you an idea. Tare weight is plated at just over a tonne with 97kg ball weight, so even these wind up type campers can start to weigh a reasonable amount.
Thanks for the tip Rob. That seems heavier than I anticipated.

Ball weight on the XV is 100kg max. I dont know what the rear axle rating is either. I did however find this on the Subaru XV forums in the US

Quote:
According to info online, it seems that the base (curb) weight of the 2018 Crosstrek is between 3,100-3,200 lbs., depending on the configuration. Let's just use 3,200 to be safe.

My vehicle lists the following:
GVWR: 4,343 lbs.
GAWR Front: 2,227 lbs.
GAWR Rear: 2,205 lbs.

Subtracting the curb weight from the GVWR gives a calculated (not necessarily recommended) additional load capacity of ~1,143 lbs.

1. Is a full fuel tank included in a vehicle's GVWR?

The manual mentions:
"Vehicle capacity weight of the vehicle is 900 lbs (408 kg), which is indicated on the vehicle placard with the statement “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 408 kg or 900 lbs”.

We'll go with the manual on this one. So, it seems that you shouldn't exceed 900 lbs. as the maximum cargo weight, including passengers. Makes sense. Now, the second consideration is that you need to make sure you don't overload an axle. There is basically no way to know how much weight on each axle without using a weigh station.

2. Has anyone had their Crosstrek on a weigh station, fully unloaded, to see what the unloaded weight on each axle is?

I'm trying to figure out the base weight on each axle (unloaded) to see how much actual, additional (cargo/passenger) weight can be loaded on each in reality.
I know I can get a HD tow hitch for it (I havent fitted the tow hitch on the car yet) which will place it at 140kg, but it doesn't match what the manufacturers recommend so I am hesitant to do that.

While I know I could 'get away' with perhaps towing the likes of a penguin on the back unladen, Im skeptical as to how the CVT will hold up with say 150-200kg of payload in the van plus 2 adults and 100kg of payload in the car.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont