View Single Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #16
omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Seriously though, congrats to stampy. Interestingly, the SVT (ST170) owners in the US are putting down around 148 fwhp stock - their dynoes must be different to ours??

If I ever get my car dynoed, I'll let you know how much it's putting down - the guys in the US and UK with the same mods as me are around the 195 - 200 flywheel hp.
The most common (like 95%) dyno used in the US is the dynojet, this is an inertia dyno which generates it's load from the large drum you're spinning. In aus the most common dyno (and the one used on this day) is a dyno dynamics which is a load bearing type dyno.

The difference is that on the dynojet you can't vary the load and the load they run at it much lower. This means it's fairly easy on the car but you can't change the load (an issue when you're tuning but makes readings more consistant) and the resultant power is quite high. The dyno dynamics will allow you to vary the load (_much_ better for tuning but makes it very easy to readings to be "fudged"), is harder on the car and results in a lower power reading. Rule of thumb, add about 8% (don't obssess about it being exactly 8%, thats just a ball park figure based on what I've seen the same car do on both types) to the dyno dynamics number when run in shootout mode to get an aproximation of what you'd see on a dyno jet.

Oh, and the brits generally use a hub dyno (dynapack being the most common) which is water braked and bolts directly to the hub. This gives very accurate (as in repeatable/precise) results as it removes the tyre to roller interface. Rule of thumb here would be add about 12% to the dyno dynamics number to get to what would be the hub dyno number.

FWIW on the nissan's I usually play with we're getting around 170rwhp on the dyno dynamics without really going to town on them (basically exhaust, cams, ecu) and I can't see any reason why similar results can't be achieved with the focus as long as people are smart with their mods.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote