View Single Post
Old 23-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #33
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: HSV Silverado 1500 Arrives in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The engineers that build the utes you turn your nose up at do know a thing or two about building cars. Yet to see one, unmodified and loaded within limits, have any dramas. Any issues are from cars being modified or overloaded.
Have you actually stopped and looked out how a 5th wheel is attached to one of thee Thai utes.
Not so much a problem with bumper hitches (ie caravans which I'M NOT REFERING TO) I'm refering to an very specific application which a longer wheelbase pick up suits.
These short wheelbase Thai utes have problems with gooseneck trailer and 5th wheels as the hitch pivot point are usually mounted to close to the back of the cab which forces operators to buy a sliding hitch arrangement for when they need to manoeuvre at close quarters.
As with any articulated vehicle the pivot point should be slightly forward of the rear axle, if it was a longer wheelbase the 5th wheels front corners would not interfere with the swing arc of the pivot area necessary for parking at close quarters. Instead they have to remember to slide the pivot back behind the rear axle to allow clearance of the trailers corners. seems like such a stupid arrangement to me but hey maybe they'll know on that caravan forum.

I have much a dislike for Thai 4 door utes as you have for Dodge RAMs, Silverado's and F 1500-3500.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote