View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #853
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I loved the fact that the A'Van could be parked in the garage, was friggin' awesome. I had to build a lean-to for our current van.
That is what I like the most. Out of the weather means it looks newer and less chance of being stolen.

Quote:
Our HWS was under the bed, not sure where to do them now as was the battery, it was a bit of a pain to get to to service, lifting the heavy bastard battery in and out was hard work, maybe they place them different now rather than under the bed right at the side and towards the back - our van had the 1D floor plan - https://www.avan.com.au/our-range/ca.../6-cruiseliner
The batteries for the newer generations are still under the bed, albeit, right at the back. This gives you more photos on what they are like https://www.caravancampingsales.com....18105156/?Cr=1

The layout for your one looks very similar and by the looks of it, the layouts havent changed much at all.

Quote:
Oh, a couple of drama's, pretty small as they were. The top part of flue from the fridge that point to external broke off and was heating the inside of the cabinetry, pretty common on them back then. Also, the little tray that collects water from the fridge condenser overflowed when we had the fridge running for 3 months, I just moved the drain to flow external
I believe the fridge flue vents to atmosphere now. So thsi should have been rectified. But I will definitely ask when the time comes to make sure. The fridge overflow, thats good that you got it to drain externally. Nothing worse than having to clean up water when that happens. I will make sure this is in place too. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Be careful when traveling if you don't have a 2nd battery in your car, the fridge will drain your battery when parked in about 3 hours. I fitted a relay to cut power to the fridge when we parked up, actually I used an old fashioned starter solenoid, does same thing as a relay and it is a bit more heavy duty with the power supply to the van. Gonna fit one to the current van soon too
Thats a good point. I will be fitting an andersen plug, electronic brake controller and a control solenoid so that it cuts off power before it kills the battery. I think its worth paying extra money for for that peace of mind.

These are great tips Trev. Really appreciate your solid input into this unit. I'll be getting some quotes for the car to be fitted with a tow bar, andersen plug and EBC this week.

Speaking of Andersen plugs, do the Avans have that built into their wiring loom already or is it another plug you need to add when fittng a towbar?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont