View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #865
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

There are pro's and con's to every style as ive said before, there really isnt one that suits every need.
From my perspective a lot depends on space requirements, if its just 2 people a solid or pop top van will do and good ones can be had cheap, especially ones with single bed arrangements at the moment whilst younger couples unable to go to bali have exhausted the island bed market.
Add kids to the equation and finding the right one becomes harder and space decreases, trust me, i know from recent experience.
The next option if you dont mind climbing over each other in bed and need room for a tin lid is an expanda or rapid like what ive just bought, you get all the benefits of protection from the elements as a solid or pop top but without the beds cutting into living space.
Next is your Avan type camper, again solid walls protecting you from the elements but consumed by bed space.
Next is the wind up camper like Rob's, the beds leave you living space but being canvassed walls exposes you to wind and heat/cold.

For 15-20k in Adelaide right now you'll get a good used wind up of between 5 and 15yrs old depending on layout, it will also secure you a 10+yo Avan camper, or a 10+yo poptop or solid van.

Personally after doing a lot of looking and considering i found the expanda or rapid to be the best compromise for interior room and sleeping capabilities and these can be found in different arrangements, however, Jayco's hold their money for some reason, they are the Holden/Commodore of the vanning world, a Windsor rapid is better and often cheaper.
I paid what i thought was a premium for the one i just bought at $21k for an 03 model but it is immaculate and thats how i like to buy things, i knocked back a 2009 17' Jayco discovery pop top in immaculate condition for similar coin on space alone. Having shown pics of the Rapid to the people in the van yard i work casually for, they said straight out its worth high 20's every day as is so im content.

Last edited by BENT_8; 10-11-2020 at 01:41 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: