View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: XR4 Gearbox IB5+ Issues

I thought the IB5+ weak point was the diff bearings - there's some kind of plastic component in the bearing that is known to fail. Replace that with metal and the IB5+ can handle much more power than the initial factory rating apparently. But if you're opening it up for bearings, whipping in an LSD would seem like an easy add-on - albeit expensive, as you'd likely need to get the LSD shipped from the UK. There are groups on Facebook you could venture in to ask - in Australia there's the XR4 Australia Owners and the XR4 Register. In the UK there's a few Mk6 groups and an ST150 group.

The IB6 6 speed from later fisters will have the bell housing pattern for the Sigma engine though, so would be a good swap for a 1.6 Fister, but not the Mazda L series 2.0 engine, which is why the IB5+ is so unique.

For a gearbox rebuild, there's a place in Newcastle called 'Newcastle Gearbox and Diff' that could possibly do the work you seek. I've had them rebuild the diff on my 2003 XR8 and was happy with their workmanship.

As for the MTX75, I'm part the way through that process, but as I'm more of a computer nerd the electronic stuff has more of an allure at the moment. I'll get there eventually.

Lukeyson