View Single Post
Old 15-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #35
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hoon
The problem is that this kit can make more power than you or the transmission can ever handle. As you probably know I totally rebuilt my motor running 9.0:1 compression so that close to standard timing can be used. The problem is always going to be (other than the transmission) the centre bearing and CV on the tailshaft, the front flexible rubber coupling and the CV's on the driveshafts. That is why the Ford utes are better suited because of their solid rear axle and why a solid rear axle is used on the 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 and independant rear ends on the rest of the Mustangs. We haven't got a hope in hell of the rear end hanging together on an XR8 or GT above probably 350-400 rwkw with the KB. Probably the only solution is universal joints throughout and upgrade of the tailshaft and centre bearing, resulting in a less than smooth drive. I hope somebody proves me wrong. That is why I feel my main tune is probably going to be 300-350 rwkw which is unbelievable with the torque available. I am waiting to see if Harrop Engineering can come up with something, but I am sure whatever that will be will be the limit of what can be done other than the $11500 complete rear end that Chris keeps talking about.
Cheers,
Ian.
My comments above are pointed more at drag racing and heavy handed road use. In my case Chris's clever malipulation of the 4 speed auto's software has bought me enough time to see me out with probably only the driveshaft CV joints potentially being a problem depending on which tune I settle for. I doubt if my better half will let me go drag racing and anyway I have "been there, done that". Chris and Paul's KB intercooled kit has enormous torque (as mentioned above) over and above the opposition and this is always going to be a problem as you ramp up the boost and it is going to be interesting to see what solutions (if any) that people can come up with to solve the problems of failing transmission components.
Cheers, Ian.
Aussie MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote