View Single Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Default Another KB install

First up I would like to thank Chris and Paul for all their help and input on the intercooled KB install in my 2004 GT-P. My original background is one of a fully qualified motor mechanic and mechanical engineer, having worked on all sorts of cars in my own business during the 60's through to the early 90's with great success. The 60's and early 70's involved preparing sports cars for circuit racing up to a big 7 litre hemi Ramcharger for drag racing, having hillclimbed and drag raced myself over a 7 year period. I absolutely loved this period and wanted to revisit the experiece one more time by completely re-building the engine in my 2.75 year old, 3300km GT-P in readiness for supercharging, totally by myself. The engine was fitted with forged Manly forged H-beam conrods, forged Manley 9.0:1 std pistons, Ford Racing MMR high pressure oil pump, MMR billet timing wheel, steel timing chain tensioners and new std ACL Racing bigend bearings together with ARP studs and bolts throughout. The whole assembly was internally and externally balanced, crankshaft journals polished and bores honed to exactly .004" clearance, etc, etc, by Russell Jones Engines. I replaced the exhaust with a complete 4 into1 Herrod stainless steel quad system. Finally I fitted the complete intercooled Bluepower Kenne Bell supercharger kit and Chris's legendary CAI kit. I bought a map 2 sensor plug with 30cm harness from CAPA which made the job of installing the supercharger assembly infinitely easier for one person. There is a lot more to this story which I propose to detail here at some future time for those that would like to undertake the project totally by themselves. The car goes like a absolute rocket with Chris's preliminary tune and I can't wait for him to come to the Gold Coast and finish the tune to the order of 400rwkw and untold amounts of flat torque. Even now the car idles as smooth as silk. I am definitely one happy chappy.
Thanks again Chris and Paul. You are both legends in my books.
Ian
PS. The picture titled "Engine out" shows how clean things were as the car has never been out in the rain. Made things a pleasure to work on.

Aussie MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote