View Single Post
Old 20-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #55
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent79
Sorry, i just have to add fuel (as expensive as it may be) to the fire. People often forget the basics of politics and what the parties stand for. The Liberal party (coalition with Nationals bending over) believes in a user pays system. That means that while u continue to pay tax on everything, Liberal idealisms are that you also pay for health, infurstucture, transport, etc from your own pokets. Funding for these which should be subsidised by your income tax dollar. Labour stands for the working man who is trying to bring equality to the general population. Its ok to say well just get a better job or earn more money to be better off under a liberal government but not everyone can be a lawyer, doctor, etc. We still need retail people, factory workers, etc. And for them, Liberals only want to pay them less then they already are. (ie, IR laws) 17 percent interest rates... What a joke. When labor was in government, the average price of a home was $150,000. Imagine if today at a price of $300,000+ for a home, johnny and his reserve bank mates had %17 interest. Not sustainable. Just remember what the parties stand for. I agree with ED TURBO.

Brent
lets get back on topic. do not turn this into a political labor VS liberal argument!

the price rising so much has nothing to do with the government! we are paying the same tax on fuel as we did when fuel was $1 a litre, its not a percentage thing. if we got tax relief on petrol, we will simply get the same tax elsewhere and the petrol prices will still rise due to the oil companys.

petrol tax is a luxury tax, just like tax on ciggerets, alcohol, if you want the luxury of owning your own motor vehicle, smoking etc you pay the tax. if you cant afford the luxury or dont wish to pay for it, then jump on the bus, or stop smoking, its quite simple.
i'd rather pay tax on something i dont nessesarily need, then pay tax on the things i need to live.

the only thing the governemnt is guilty for is the crap public transport, but the reaso why its crap is because not many people use it, if more people use it, there will be more money to improve it
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote