View Single Post
Old 23-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: HSV Silverado 1500 Arrives in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The only reason I like the American Utes is that they actually fit humans in the back seats while still having a decent sized tub as well as good engine options, you've got V8s and turbo sixes in the case of the F150.

I could make do with a 4x2 dual cab Ranger but the wheezy diesel engines put them off the list, they're just too under powered for highway driving, especially if you want to pass people on single lane country roads.

If we had the 2.3L Ecoboost option that the US Ranger has then that would sign me up.

I don't need a Ute but it would be handy.
OK, the issue I see with our so called mid-sized pick ups / utes is that their crew cab internal dimensions,
those all important hip, shoulder and rear leg room are actually closer to those of a compact car like a Focus.
Over Ranger's product cycle, a significant shift in buyer preference to crew cab sales has occurred
so it would be wise for Ford to align the proportion of Ranger with F150 and pick up internal space.
- F150 is 200mm wider than Ranger yet the track is only 125mm wider
- F150 has 75mm more rear leg room in Super Crew and Crew Cab than Ranger.
- F150 have longer trays fitted to Super Cab and Crew Cabs compared to Ranger
- F150 has its rear wheels positioned closer to the rear of the tray than Ranger.

My takeaway from the above is that widening and lengthening Ranger by 75mm could be done
without complete tear up and re do of the chassis and mechanical package, longer trays could
then be offered as an option. A lot is possible but I know that Ford won't do it because their project
input data was still way out of date at the beginning of T6 gen 2 and ceded to US desires to keep
Current dimensions as they are, any growth in Ranger's is a threat to F150 - protected species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
And they have a proper wheelbase, where the load area isn't hanging out beyond the rear axle.
You and I both know that much could be directed with a few changes including longer tub options
and commensurate longer wheelbase but won't for reasons stated above.

Such a shame because a bigger better Ranger fitted with 3.0 diesel and 5.0 V8 could be so much more.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: