View Single Post
Old 17-06-2005, 02:31 AM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My Dad was a cabinet maker and tool maker by trade ... and he used to muck around with timber on the weekend and make stuff all the time. The things he used to make were amazing ... I'd love to learn more though.

He would have taught me more ... but he passed away when i was 12 ... so that kinda went out the window ... I have his sketch book that he used to do all his plans and stuff in ... amazing.

He made my entire bedroom suite from a rough sketch he cam up with ... then measured the room out and went from there.

The finished product look exactly like his "rough" sketch ... too me his rough sketch was actually a fine piece of art ... he had gift when it came to drawing and woodwork.

He made the dining table at home with ornately lathed legs ... the coffee table using inset decorative tiles ... he also made a full chess set (board and all pieces) ... I wish I could find the chess set ... it was a work or art. He also redid the kitchen with some cool little features (shelves that slid out as corner doors opened).

I don't have that gift unfortunately .. but I'd love to learn about it ... I did quite well at woodwork at high school ... but never continued really ... I love woodwork and how it turns out when complete.

To everyone that has made some nice stuff .. well done ... it does seem to be a dying art as everything becomes so "production line" nowadays.

Another thing I like is going to some of the woodworking shops that sell the unique furniture and ornate items ... there's some cool in those shops.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote