View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #19
omg

Well, keep in mind you're getting the US results off the net so they aren't necessarilly an accurate sample and nor are they necessarilly, well, accurate ;) That said, cars do vary from day to day and given the nature of a chassis dyno results aren't always consistant.

As for the brits, yes, you can get a flywheel number, you use an engine dyno. As this involves pulling the engine out of the car it's a fair bet that they're not doing this on their dyno days. What they do have a habit of doing, and this is particularly prevalent in the lower powered cars, is to pluck a "drivetrain loss" figure out of their **** and multiply that by what they got at the hubs. They also tend to give the result to the nearest 0.1hp which is pretty impressive considering it is measured at the hubs and then has a guesstimate applied. Suffice to say, I think anyone that does this is a complete tosser.

With the 170, as I mentioned that was with a nissan engine (SR20DE). We threw a few mild mods at one to see what we could do on a budget without going to a turbo and were pleasantly surprised. I guess the one thing I'd say is that there are much better ways to get power than simply chucking every mod you can find at an engine.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote