View Single Post
Old 27-08-2023, 07:04 AM   #16
Focmachine

Default Re: ST170 Cam belt - recommend melbourne mechanic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset06 View Post
For those who have done it themselves - how long did your first timing belt replacement take, and what was the parts cost ?

Is there any difference between the baseline Focus LR 2.0 and the ST170 in terms of doing the timing belt (and recommended tensioners and water pump)?

How about needed tools to complete the job ?
Ive only done a standard zetec, with fixed cam sprockets. Took me two days, not rushing and doing other side jobs.

The only difference I can see is the VCT cam sprockets. As discussed the engine has a different (and discontinued) timing tensioner.
The toledo timing tool kit will do the job-part 304730

The workshop manual on this site covers the how to.

Parts were about $450?, gates rpm belt, 2lb tensioner spring, motorcraft water pump. Donar tensioner and idler pulley. The kit you found witht he seals is perfect except the cam seals as I found out yesterday from your information.
New valve cover gasket. Victor Reinz 15-10709-01 was cheap enough from rock auto. Part must specify and SVT or a VIN code 5 engine

You’ll need Normal tools, trolley jack, jack stands and a block to have under the engine when it is off its mount supported by a jack.
Special tools are, a torque wrench (mechanical type $170 from total tools), a means to hold the cam sprocket when it is being torqued (cam holding tool ($50).
When undoing the water pump pulley you’ll need a strap wrench or a flat, narrow file etc to wedge between the pully bolts to brace it.
A few extensions and an impact driver will be handy.
I used lots of brake/parts cleaner

When I do my ST170 I will have to check what to do about the vct sprokets, other than that I consider it and easy job now, just go slow and be aware of your steps and when and why the locking tools need to be removed and reinstalled.

Crank the engine two full revolutions by hand and dont worry that the tensioner needle moves, it will reset after you’ve rotated the engine.
Focmachine is offline   Reply With Quote