Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default HTC oneX terrible battery and reception

Hey all wondering if anyone else has problems with their HTC oneX? My battery just doesn't seem to last at all, and when I try to send a sms a lot of the time it says it failed to send even though I have reception, and the internet is terrible I very... Very rarely have 3g and I live in Canberra. Commonly when trying to load a webpage it fails and says it's site not available.

Also the phone is with Optus.

Would be interested to hear if other people have the same issues?

Old 13-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
pundit
Gazza!

Default Re: HTC oneX terrible battery and reception

My battery is very touch and go on my one x, and have issues sending sms alot, and thats on redbull mobile. Not to mention mine has the wifi glitch handcore!
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

HTC one xl here , it has auto sync everything took me some finding to turn it all off ...now battery is great ..only drama I had was the 4 g thing if its low signal it don't drop back to 3 g quick enough so I have turned 4 g off and once again awesome ( will only use it when in a city ) loving it ...Telstra the only provider ( albeit the dearest)
Old 13-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sorta related but my HTC HD2 lasts about an hour and a half under heavy use before you completely drain the battery to the point it won't turn on.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
HTC one xl here , it has auto sync everything took me some finding to turn it all off ...now battery is great ..only drama I had was the 4 g thing if its low signal it don't drop back to 3 g quick enough so I have turned 4 g off and once again awesome ( will only use it when in a city ) loving it ...Telstra the only provider ( albeit the dearest)
Where did you find the place to turn these settings off? Cause I love the phone but this battery life is killing me
Old 14-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Deco28

Must be a theme, i love my HTC Sensation, but it has the worst battery life, until i turn off mobile internet, then it's fine. Go Figure.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
creative
I am Batman

These type of phones eat battery in an area with poor signal. The more it has to look for suitable network coverage the worse it is. If you are in a place with excellent coverage the battery will last ages. Turn off the settings in network.

My sgs is the same. I even tried flashing different modems to see if i could get it to work better!

The joys of having a pocket pc I guess!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was just looking in the network settings and think this night be causing some of my issues but hopefully someone will know better than me... under network mode there is the option of having GSM and WCDMA auto or only having one of those. Should I have both or just one of these settings?
Old 14-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
creative
I am Batman

Ideally You need both. Think of it as adsl and adsl2....

Also check in the battery stats to see whats using it.

What do you have your screen brightness set to?
Is wifi/bt/gps turned on?
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suggest you download Juice Defender from the Play Store. What it does is turn off mobile data when the screen is turned off which saves a helluva lot of battery. I have used it on two Android phones (Moto Defy and Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and it makes for 1.5 - 2 days of battery with moderate use. Also it's free
Old 15-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
robbyj
Rob

as for your coverage.. telstra has the largest network, albiet more expensive. But you get what you pay for imo.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Well I worked out that even when you turned auto sync off nearly all other programs have sync / update / notification and sync on open plus manual sync .
open the mail app for example,and open settings and check it to manual...notifications off ..etc etc this applies to every app and speeds phone up somewhat ...uses less data too .
Old 15-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Optus is held together with paddlepop sticks and wire, but i think the spamware helps hold it together.

Never going with them ever again.

XTC batteries are crap yes..
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
Optus is held together with paddlepop sticks and wire, but i think the spamware helps hold it together.

Never going with them ever again.

XTC batteries are crap yes..

each to there own, i have just gone over to optus and have found them to be fantastic, this after spending time at Vodaphone (less than a month because their coverage was sh1thouse).
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I get better battery on WiFi than mobile network. I can lose 15% of battery using mobile network for 10 minutes.

I also have all auto sync turned off, GPS off, BT off and also run a RAM clean when I stop using it for a while (closes off unneccessary apps from running in the background)

SGS2 but seems to be a common theme across most brands.
Old 15-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

If you're phone is hunting for 3G signal it will chew battery up.
Old 15-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Hulsty

What does your battery statistics say and how is your screen brightness set ?

Referring to the below screen shot, the "awake" (when the CPU is running processes) should pretty closely align with the "screen on" Which means that the phone is only doing stuff when the screen is on. If there is a large difference with the "awake" being higher means you've probably got an app or something sucking battery or you are constantly syncing various services (email, facebook, weather etc)

Also if you have the wifi set on, even with no wifi in range it is still looking for a signal, sucking power. Poor network signal also kills it.

A good app is juice defender, which can be used to schedule various process etc to save battery.

Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
What does your battery statistics say and how is your screen brightness set ?

Referring to the below screen shot, the "awake" (when the CPU is running processes) should pretty closely align with the "screen on" Which means that the phone is only doing stuff when the screen is on. If there is a large difference with the "awake" being higher means you've probably got an app or something sucking battery or you are constantly syncing various services (email, facebook, weather etc)

Also if you have the wifi set on, even with no wifi in range it is still looking for a signal, sucking power. Poor network signal also kills it.

A good app is juice defender, which can be used to schedule various process etc to save battery.

Gee I love it when I go to type something and someone has saved me the hassle by typing it for me.. Juice Defender is an awesome app to help save battery life....

It DOES however crap me to tears that people go out and pay ~$700 for a phone and instantly have issues with it not being able to last 12 hours due to "bloatware" and poorly chosen default synch options.. For christ sake when will a manufacturer bring out a OS with "Power Plans" so the average Jo Blo "always plugged in" can choose between having facebook updates every minute, and Mary Jane "needs battery" can have her battery last for more then 6 hours with Semi heavy use....
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post