Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 15-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A slightly cunning plan

One of the things we have here at AFF is a reasonably large number of sysadmins, network geeks and other IT "professionals".
As this is a car forum it would probably not be such a good idea openly use it for computer issues as it would quickly turn into "overclocker-mutant" hell.
It seems a shame to waste this potential resourse as most of us have common interests and no real barrows to push.
If there a private area like DM where those who are in the game can converse with others over problems/issues it might generate a stronger fellowship and even help the forum if/when we have problems. You never know who is a member here as many might not want "the great unwashed" to be aware of who they are for whatever reasons.

It also gives a place to sus people out. There are a number where who employ, others who are not employed at the moment due to whatever.

Any thoughts?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
jaikai

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Yeah...WTF...?

JAIKAI
Old 15-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He clearly has no interest in cars and has been using the last 2 years to carefully infiltrate us and spread his "geek" ideals. You almost had us buddy, but we're on to you!! :
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't make me rm -rf /home/*
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well. so far the second sentence has been confirmed......
Old 15-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

So has the first.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
He clearly has no interest in cars and has been using the last 2 years to carefully infiltrate us and spread his "geek" ideals. You almost had us buddy, but we're on to you!! :

.......ROFL.......
Attached Images
File Type: gif amen.gif (1.2 KB, 151 views)
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
So has the first.
The first was always known, many of our mods and admins work in IT. Most of our members do not so this idea will be of as much interest to them as streetcommodores is to me.

The idea was, in that as any people who do work in IT usually have workstations on during the day and occaisionally visit AFF then we use this resource. There are many many IT forums but these tend to be populated by gamers and children and if a question is asked the answers are often wrong or stupid or both.
AFF members whose hobby is cars but work is IT might be better for this purpose.

If this is a bad idea and no one is interested then it will not happen, simple as that, but if the question is never asked then it can never answered.
Old 15-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I see you're point, these is much bs to wade through to get any I.T help on a gamer type forum.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i am a it person.. and visit aff as much as possible
hence why im always a forum stalker :P
Old 15-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I understand what you are saying re IT workers but would not the same hold true for plumbers or panelbeaters or sex workers?

So many talents available... so much info to share...

I've seen and been involved in "elite" areas elsewhere and can share that if you want the great unwashed to be offside, make them feel inferior.

I have no problem with "elite" areas per se but if IT people felt the urge to congregate and share info would not the DM be a suitable vehicle?

Either that or do it without publicity and hope that the "elite" can keep their mouths shut, lol.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I understand what you are saying re IT workers but would not the same hold true for plumbers or panelbeaters or sex workers?

So many talents available... so much info to share...

I've seen and been involved in "elite" areas elsewhere and can share that if you want the great unwashed to be offside, make them feel inferior.

I have no problem with "elite" areas per se but if IT people felt the urge to congregate and share info would not the DM be a suitable vehicle?

Either that or do it without publicity and hope that the "elite" can keep their mouths shut, lol.
True but panelbeaters etc do not sit on the internet all day. I am not talking about a secret society, anyone can be in it, but if you play up there or are not interested then it will not appear on you menu.
The DM area is possibly one place but not all DMs are interested in this.

So far almost every post has been negative and no mods/admins have made a comment so I guess it is not a popular idea.

Life goes on......
Old 15-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So far almost every post has been negative and no mods/admins have made a comment so I guess it is not a popular idea.
I think it has the potential to invoke the "Law of Unforeseen Consequences" ;)

Maybe as a starting point you could approach a mod about a "geek" sticky in the Bar. If it generates enough interest over a period of time you could put together a case for a more substantial "home".

Good luck with it, whatever pans out.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #14
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm lost on this one.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
As this is a car forum it would probably not be such a good idea openly use it for computer issues as it would quickly turn into "overclocker-mutant" hell.
I think you have hit upon the crux of the matter there. It's a car forum, and it should stay that way, IMO.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:

Not sure if our silence is an indication in allowing others to comment first, or to establish the concept in your first post
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post