Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default NSW speed camera rule changes

In NSW apparently they are going to reduce the fine for 0-15km/h speed cameras from $130 to $75.

The trade off is an extra demerit point. WTF

Id rather pay the extra cash than lose another point. Its hard enough driving around Sydney (and Bateau Bay.....private joke) with all the cameras they have. Anybody who drives in sydney for a living will definately be against the change.

Also fines for people driving too slow in the overtaking lane are to be increases and 40km/h zones are to be reviewed to check if they are necessary. Also, speed camera locations are to be reviewed to make sure their focus is on safety not revenue. Yeah Right!!! More like put em in a more lucrative location.

State gov has not announced how it will sustain the revenue loss. The change is expected to cost the sate gov $20 mil a year. My question is, why are speed camera fines used as state gov revenue, the money should be put directly into speed awareness adds, and fixing the roads.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.

Last edited by Black XR6; 16-02-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

This is due to cover ALL 0-15 kph over the posted limit speeding offenses, not just the camera ones. I think that the REAL hidden impact of this is that with the way that theyve restructured the demerit point system - they have effectively HALVED the number of demerits points you were once given. Almost ALL general driving infractions now incur at least a 2 point penalty - with even the most minor speeding offence (0-15kph) now attaining a loss of 1/4 of your total points, or in the case of a double demerit point weekend 1/2 your licence. Was quite a bizarre 'positive slant' on the issue offered by one of the supposed 'driver safety advocates' that was suggesting a good behaviour bonus being granted for drivers with a safe driving record for over 5 years.
So basically they are now saying is see - we TOLD you its no longer about revenue raising, as we've almost HALVED the financial penalty for the most minor speeding offense - but by the way - ALL OTHER speeding offense fines will remain the same.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Yeah, well my question is, how long till we see a rise in 0-15km speeding fines but the demerit points will stay the same.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Well all I know is that I have had a clean driving record for years upon years and want to finally be able to reap the benefits.

If you lose points, the system is currently that you get them back after a year (is that right?! - I don't know cos I've never ever lost points). So I say that if you don't lose any points you should get a bonus each year... I want to save them up then go on a speed camera rampage! :hihi:

Also driving into Sydney from the Blue Mountains is such a mess. Parramatta road has so many signs on it that I miss the speed camera ones all the time, thankfully I just stick to the speed limit all the time around there cos I'm so paranoid.

My other issue is that the speedo in the Ford is out, but how much we're not quite sure... so when driving through camera areas we are very aware of other motorists and how fast they are going and we have to approximate.

I heard on the news last night that there is a speed camera in Sydney that has been clocking buses doing up to 90km per hour in a 60 zone - UP A HILL. The bus drivers say there is no way their buses can go that fast. The reporter and camera crew got on the bus and the driver floored it down the bottom of the hill and the bus barely made it to 55kph, going as fast as it could... the bus drivers are about to strike cos there's been 13 speeding fines for various buses from that camera since Xmas.

Shows you how reliable these cameras actually are.

There is one at Valley Heights and one day I went past it to find it was out of order. Some guy had been done the night before so he pulled over, walked back with a can of petrol and set it on fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Bindi - 3 years till you get points back from the date you lost them.

Ford stock speedos are supposed to be about 2-5k's under what you see, so 60 = around 55 so I hear.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
shane3
FPV GT 0915

You can rack up 12 points in 3 years, once you get all 12 points you loose your licence for 3 months (this is what I'm on at the moment!) OR keep your licence and if you have 1 or more infringment's in 12 months you will have your licence suspended for 6 months. Once you have served the 3 month suspention you get all your points back.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..

Last edited by shane3; 17-02-2005 at 10:43 AM.
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
MadManz

the trouble with that is, i am a 24hr Hydraulic on site service, so i can't loose it and would have no choice but to take the 1 point..

the government doesnt give a shi-T, they all get cartered around like god's and who pays for that! Double demerit points on a long weekend won't stop the next car that falls asleep at the wheel and veers into the on comming truck! Smokes are bad, yet they dont take them off the shelf?

They may as well say "If your going to go out today please pay us $200 before you set foot outside your house, Thankyou"

Doesn't matter what state your in its only gonna get worse for drivers, and like i said before most of this crap gets braught in by the old hags in government that dont even drive!

anywayz just my 2 cents
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it comes down to don't speed and you won't lose the points.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

the way I see it is they were copping to much flack about raising revenue and decided it would be more of a deterrent and increase road safety to increase the demerit point penalty then a fine.

I actually think it is a good idea. You wont have a problem as long as you dont speed
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

The NRMA was proposing to make the period for which you lose your points 2 years instead of 3 so you get them back sooner.

I know I'd rather pay the fine than lose an extra point on my licence....especially as I only have 3 points now.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone have a web site that details these changes. There's nothing on the RTA site that I can find.
Regards,
Tote
Old 17-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

With the amount of driving that I get thru, it's not unreasonable for me to go thru upwards of 6-8 FIXED radar camera sites in a day. On top of who knows how many mobile units. To live in the ideal world where a comment like don't speed, you won't have anything to worry about - how bout the situation where you tempararily have a lapse in concentration, thinking about something else & the speed creeps up.
Do not even pretend that you have never exceeded the speed limit - I'd be prepared to wager that NOT 1 person that's had a licence, & actually driven on a regular basis in not guilty of speeding (if you haven't been caught - then you are lucky - plain & simple)
My point is - it is entirely feasible for a motorist in a SINGLE journey, through a lapse of concentration, keeping up in traffic or whatever. To unwittingly LOOSE their licence for speeding offences.
Picture the scene. A worker after having worked all night heads home @ 6am in a holiday period(ie double demerit point time) on a 3 lane wide road, speed limit is 60 kph - zero traffic(everyone else is still sensibly in bed asleep). Worker is quite used to driving same stretch of road all year round in peak traffic where traffic density restricts travel usually to 25-30kph. Tis exceptionally easy for ANYONE used to this to appreciate how damn easy it is for the speed to creep up & be completely unaware of it. Does exceeding the speed limit by only a few kph warrant the loss of 1/2 the points off your licence????
During a double demerit points weekend to loose 1/2 your points for a moment of distraction imo - is quite an unreasonably harsh situation.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #13
anakha

I drive from client to client during the day in Sydney and rack up lots of km in my XR8 and yet have only had one speeding fine in the last 6 years. That from a guy with a handheld laser radar in a Nth Sydney side street. I drive like a hoon too quite often.

My take is if you know the roads you drive, stay alert and know what time of day you're likely to drive past a speed trap you're unlikely to get pinged. Fixed cameras with the three wanring signs are not an issue. I always do an indicated 90 or less in tunnels - I'm sure my speedo reads a little high too.

From what I have observed over the last year mobile speed traps in general seem to be on the decline. School zones are the exception and I am very careful to stay to the limit despite the fact that I never seem to see any kids walking around during the relevant times.

I do agree that 3 points is way too much for such a minor infraction. I thought 2 was too much when they changed it especially with the ridiculous double point periods they like to put on.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

It'll be pretty harsh on the P-platers especially the P1 guys that are just starting to feel for the road. One lapse of concentration and they are gooooone under any circumstances. Double demerits was bad enough under the current system.

P2's don't have it that much better. One lapse of concentration in double demerits and they too are gooone.

Working really well for the younger generation of shiftworkers that want to get off to a start in life and the like.
Old 18-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #15
chippa6
Novice Professional

I live in queensland so it doesn't effect me, but i think it will be a step in the right direction (so it seems) after the fuss that has been stirred up about speed cameras being revenue raisers, this change might be sign of a new time whereby governments realise that safety was the original reason for enforcing speed limits and not making money.

Chippa
Old 18-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You shouldn't be driving if your not alert as this is a hallmark of fatigue. On top of that with 3 signs for fixed speed cameras, you should be on the look out. If your licence is to such a position you only have 3 points left then maybe you should be extra careful. It's not exactly hard to guess where the highway patrol cars will operate either
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post