Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
markb

Default AU auto gearboxes

Hey guys,

I was looking at a drive.com review of used AU's (XR6/XR8) and they mentioned that normally the gearbox is going to be cactus after about 160,000 k's.

Is this really likely for a normally driven car? I know a few people with Au XR6's that have had no problem.

I'm looking to get one of these as a cheap ute so wanted to know if I should be budgeting for a possible rebuild/reco auto box.

If so how much to budget for?

Cheers

markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
JoesAu

no thats crap, taxi's get 700.000km's on one reco, there is no reason why it shouldnt last you 300k's as long as it serviced on time, mines still going strong after 170'000km's, just gotta keep em serviced, make sure the oil is clean etc
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

If their serviced they go forever.

The 160,000klms is if people follow the Ford Service Guide and dont service their Auto Box. Ford post EL told people that it was a sealed unit requiring no service :

We've had untold amounts of BTR 4 Speeders (EA2,EB2, EF,EL, AU2, BA) in our family and have Zero and i repeat Zero problems with the Gearbox. 40-60,000 klms services will set you straight- Maybe 30,000klms if you absolutely cain it.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
markb

Cool this was one of my major problems...

I am surrefing from new car buyers syndrome for the past 8 years.. and I think I'm cured and can buy a used one now :-)

I'm still paranoid about stuff breaking on me but I guess it's still cheaper than copping a huge depreciation hit.

On the off chance I do get a bad one are we talking big dollars for a reco?
Old 25-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$2300~ for a supplied and fitted reco tends to be the average price, assuming it's not through Ford.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have 237 000 on mine, still ok. Mums has had a reco, and has had 245 000 through it, so they seem pretty good to me.
Old 25-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

147'000kms on my AUII XR8, every 20'000km i get a service, and the oil is clean as a whistle, the guys who service it are surprised.
Some other 4 speed auto's they service just are nasty they reckon when they open them up !
Old 25-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
$2300~ for a supplied and fitted reco tends to be the average price, assuming it's not through Ford.
hmm that is not cheap, so I guess as always lower k's and service history and some questions about whether or not the 'box oil has been changed.
Old 25-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I got a 16sec pass rofl, with my 201,000 original auto...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
tickford90

Mine has gone over 300 000kms on my 2000 Au II and still going strong and after a couple of weeks of owning the car I noticed nothing on the car had been serviced for 100 000kms (from 160 000 - 260 000kms). Serviced when I bought it and still going strong after the 12 months I've had it.
tickford90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
sly
Sly like a G6

My 99 Wagon has 330,000km up & still has the original box. It was flushed at 170,000km and again at 310,000km. It had its one and only (to date) service with the flush at 310,000. The oil was black but there were no other issues. I don't recommend you do the same as me though... mine will be serviced every 12 months now.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion
When I was contemplating mine getting replaces, Fluidrive wanted $1.8K including GST.

I have a manual now! :

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Nah , BTRs are tough , if you Drag Race em and thrash the living christ out of em (liek me) They just get clunky , but new oil and clean fixes that !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I am on my 4th auto gearbox and the wagon is very close to 260 000kms. I have recently added an automatic transmission temperature gauge.Heat is what mainly kills the automatic not high speed drag racing. Firstly .You need a tranny cooler.Secondly a temperature controlled fan.

The main killer of autos is the stop start traffic and congestion.Last week at wsid I hit 155 to 160 kph and can confirm that the box ran cooler as more air flowed over my cooler.The end result should be a longer life.

Also don't go dslammimg the poor thing either as shock to the internals causes breakages too.
My first 2 boxes died in a totally stock car...Heat is thy enemy!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Ive been told my auto has its days numbered lol may be true but its still runs as smooth as they come, i might add i do treat it well but the power output would still add alot of additional stress. Ive been told they are pretty good boxes tho!
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb
Hey guys,

I was looking at a drive.com review of used AU's (XR6/XR8) and they mentioned that normally the gearbox is going to be cactus after about 160,000 k's.

Is this really likely for a normally driven car? I know a few people with Au XR6's that have had no problem.

I'm looking to get one of these as a cheap ute so wanted to know if I should be budgeting for a possible rebuild/reco auto box.

If so how much to budget for?

Cheers
My current e series had a box rebuild at 480k , had a service every 65k where it needed it or not , currently has about 600k and runs fine.
A rebuild kit from the states is affordable ( google it) and you and some mates can do the work> thats kevlar bands etc and new s5 soliniod.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

if its a 6
and you ain't thrashing it or doing 14sec passes
then JoesAU and Fairlane are absolutely correct. Keep it serviced (drop the pan at 30 thou, full flush at 60 thou, rinse and repeat) and you will see well over 300k out of your unit.
Old 26-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you go about draining oil out than putting the right amount of oil in ?
They dont have a drain hole like a manual :-p
You remove the pan from bottom...... ? .....than......
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you remove the pan, let the oil go, replace the filter, then there is a fill plug on the drivers side, fill to that level, take it for a quick drive and then top up if needed.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Yes you remove the pan, let the oil go, replace the filter, then there is a fill plug on the drivers side, fill to that level, take it for a quick drive and then top up if needed.
Thanks for that,never really knew that as never had auto issuie's but someone once told me there were a seal unit which i thought wouldnt be right !
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Futura is on the original box on 434k, it is the highest kays I've seen or read of for an AU auto, unless someone in here wants to show me otherwise...
As has been mentioned, a temperature controlled fan is a good investment, and keep an eye on the ATF level, this might be a PITA with no bloody dipstick.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
My Futura is on the original box on 434k, it is the highest kays I've seen or read of for an AU auto, unless someone in here wants to show me otherwise...
As has been mentioned, a temperature controlled fan is a good investment, and keep an eye on the ATF level, this might be a PITA with no bloody dipstick.
Been in a taxi lately?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #23
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Speak to some of sydneys taxi drivers, some are geting 750-900k on original boxes,thats for the guys that are getting them serviced.

My Au II SR wagons got 235ks on it,Ive serviced it at 200ks,And the wifes AUII ghia has 83ks on it just serviced it,and they both drive and shift as good as each other.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #24
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
Speak to some of sydneys taxi drivers, some are geting 750-900k on original boxes,thats for the guys that are getting them serviced.
That's damn good going. Just budget for regular servicing as the guys here have said and you shouldn't have any dramas.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #25
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
That's damn good going. Just budget for regular servicing as the guys here have said and you shouldn't have any dramas.
well I take delivery of my XR8 auto ute, got 145000 k's so I might as well get the dealer to make sure they change the g'box oil.

hopefully it will be all good as the car looks to have been well maintained.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I've owned my AU for 3½ years, since it was 80,100k's. It's now at 132,000k's and needs a full rebuild. It's fully shagged!

EDIT: Has had 2 full services since I've owned it.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #27
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Mine's a little tired at 190k, but it only had it's first ever service at 170, so I can't complain too much.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Yes, thats about as high as you get. Very, very rarely do they go over 450k.

Quote:
I spent 3½ years working for a taxi management company, and i saw ALOT of cabs. ELs, AUs, BAs. No BTR Auto ever got past about 460-470k, even with the gentlest of drivers. Usual was just shy of 400k. We serviced our cars every 28 days, and transmission every second service. We had dipsticks put on all of them (just cos they're not factory doesn't mean you can't get em, i've got one on mine) so we could check the levels, and they were checked about 4 or 5 times a week. I don't have a terrible amount of experience with the BA boxes (from what i hear they're no better than the AU boxes) and in all the cabs I've seen I've never heard of one passing about the 470k mark.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #29
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Nah , BTRs are tough , if you Drag Race em and thrash the living christ out of em (liek me) They just get clunky , but new oil and clean fixes that !
When u have done twice as many runs as (i say twice coz u don't have as much power) Krissy has u'll be rebiuling ur's to. There not as tuff as u think.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yes, thats about as high as you get. Very, very rarely do they go over 450k.

I spent 3½ years working for a taxi management company, and i saw ALOT of cabs. ELs, AUs, BAs. No BTR Auto ever got past about 460-470k, even with the gentlest of drivers. Usual was just shy of 400k. We serviced our cars every 28 days, and transmission every second service. We had dipsticks put on all of them (just cos they're not factory doesn't mean you can't get em, i've got one on mine) so we could check the levels, and they were checked about 4 or 5 times a week. I don't have a terrible amount of experience with the BA boxes (from what i hear they're no better than the AU boxes) and in all the cabs I've seen I've never heard of one passing about the 470k mark.

Cool,Ive seen/spoken to a few owner/operators with higher Ks mate,Our prestige cabs we use for work,One guy just sold his au LTD,with 890 odd ks ,1 reco box in it,His biggest drama was the front gaurds folding down a few times,for the Ks these cars are immaculate.every AU cab I used to get in,i would ask whats been replaced alot would say diff,brakes high Ks 600k+ no eng/box dramas.

Ask a commordore cab owner the same question!!!!!!! Are there any left....
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post