Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
efgiar
rofl copter

Default My car is uninsurable.....

well i got a quote on insurance today... and apparently its not insurable because ef ghias didnt come out factory with a manual, therefor its not on thier system and cant be insured... this was done thru commonwealth bank havnt tried any other insurance companies but surely you would think they would be able to insure it with a manual!

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

if they don't insure modified cars then i doubt it.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Insure it as a auto, but a manual conversion as a mod, would that work? Can't see why it wouldn't. Try another company.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Commonwealth does insurance? Remember these people know nothing about cars, if its not on their system then thats final.

Go with RACV or someone normal.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is gayer than that gay thread about the gay guy with his straight mates and gay cars who thought he was the only gay on AFF.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

racv AMAZINGLY are quite good mate - try them out - they insured me when NO-ONE else would.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
racv AMAZINGLY are quite good mate - try them out - they insured me when NO-ONE else would.
Ive also found RACV to be the cheapest, although my car is pretty much stock at the moment.

A little OT: but do you have to tell them about cams? Logic would say yes, but unless they open it how will they know?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ive also found RACV to be the cheapest, although my car is pretty much stock at the moment.

A little OT: but do you have to tell them about cams? Logic would say yes, but unless they open it how will they know?
legally yes, many people don't i'm sure.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

You are going to a BANK for Insurance on a car lol

Where would you get a loan from? An Insurance company?

My point is Banks just do insurance to earn extra cash, they nothing about the cars other than whats written in a book or a computer file.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
You are going to a BANK for Insurance on a car lol

Where would you get a loan from? An Insurance company?

My point is Banks just do insurance to earn extra cash, they nothing about the cars other than whats written in a book or a computer file.
Actually CommInsure is an independent insurance company, authorised to conduct business under the Insurance Act, which means they are just as 'real' an insurer as members of the IAG group etc. It's just owned by the Commonwealth Bank group.

No insurer knows much about cars, some just have more granular databases.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
That is gayer than that gay thread about the gay guy with his straight mates and gay cars who thought he was the only gay on AFF.
Wow, that's pretty gay.

Comminsure... um, not exactly the most sophisticated motor vehicle insurer in town.

I would wager that they simply looked for the manual variant of your car on Redbook... didnt see it... and werent interested.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
This is a bad thing because? Shannons/Just Car etc don't sell insurance because they love cars, believe it or not, they also want to make money....

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
niko
likes falcon's

i rang AAMI and they said it was fine, they put it down as auto, as there wasn't the option, BUT, i rang up after i told the lady twice the 1st time, and it was fixed 3rd time around
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #14
FRDMSL
FRDMSL

i went with Just Cars and had no problems at all, just put it down as gearbox conversion in modifications.
FRDMSL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

i was same as phantomXE
just cars and said i did manual conversion
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
El_Poochino

I'd go with RACV, they undercut the compitition by $1000. But that was a stock car.
El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
MADED-6
MADED.6

just cars said that to me then just put it down as a mod and im all good so yeah. and there prices are pretty good epecially for moded cars.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

give me $80 a week and i'll insure your car!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #19
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Just Car is the best for modified cars Josh. But like everyone is saying tell them that it is auto not manual. Less mods you tell them the cheaper it is too buddy
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_TD
Just Car is the best for modified cars Josh. But like everyone is saying tell them that it is auto not manual. Less mods you tell them the cheaper it is too buddy
i'm with a company called "Young and Cool", crap name but good company.. beat Just Car by heaps with my insurance.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #21
eav8

I haven't tried yet but I think mine would be a tad difficult (expensive) to insure lol.
project #1: Ea series1 Spac conversion to straight gas; 351Cleveland; T5; EB dash; sunroof and more as I get to them. :evilsasmo
Fully road legal and cruising in QLD!!
---------------------------------------------------
Happy dealings with; PROTD, !gn!t!on, Big_waity,Phongus
eav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eav8
I haven't tried yet but I think mine would be a tad difficult (expensive) to insure lol.
so you're gunna drive it with no insurance ?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #23
dansince86

hey, personally i feel racv are crap, they want $750 for 3rd party fire and theft on my car (read sig). i called aami, i'm insured with them for my wheels, stereo and lowering for about $500. Prior to going with aami i checked out just car insurance, i made every mod possible through their web site and i the price was $560. As long as it legal to drive its legal to insure with them. the reason i didnt choose them is because u have to pay up front, where as i pay monthly with aami. best of luck

Cheers Dan

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansince86
hey, personally i feel racv are crap, they want $750 for 3rd party fire and theft on my car (read sig). i called aami, i'm insured with them for my wheels, stereo and lowering for about $500. Prior to going with aami i checked out just car insurance, i made every mod possible through their web site and i the price was $560. As long as it legal to drive its legal to insure with them. the reason i didnt choose them is because u have to pay up front, where as i pay monthly with aami. best of luck

Cheers Dan
aami rejected my car, it had cat back, wheels & stereo.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #25
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

If you ever have to try to get your car fixed after a crash through AAMI, you'll know why AAMI are best avoided. Most panel shops won't quote for AAMI work these days, as they make the repairers use 2nd hand or aftermarket parts, and take ages to pay up.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #26
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
If you ever have to try to get your car fixed after a crash through AAMI, you'll know why AAMI are best avoided. Most panel shops won't quote for AAMI work these days, as they make the repairers use 2nd hand or aftermarket parts, and take ages to pay up.
I kind of find that hard to believe.

When I had an accident in my EL Ghia a couple of months back, I rang them up, they had a towie at the scene in 30 mins. Car was taken away. Was at an assessing centre the next morning. I went and took my EL GT's and plates off the car, without a complaint from them.

It was assessed as a write off 2 days later (around $8k damage) by local panel shops, and I had $12.5k deposited into my account 2 days after that.

By all standards, I think thats a pretty good effort by an insurance company.

I think you will find that all insurance companies will use second hand / aftermaket / refurbished parts where possible. No where in the policy does it say they will use new parts. Only that they will return the car to a standard of repair consummate with the age of the vehicle.

Its turning to the point where all major insurance companies will only insure a car if the vehicle and options match the compliance plates and the wheel/tyre combo matches the sticker on the door. Anything else is shot off to people like Just Cars.

I know AAMI will insure a car with upto 3 modifications (and they can be whatever - wheels, kit, turbo, supercharger) if your 25 and over. They are essentialy trying to protect themselves and my premium from being affected by young hoons
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #27
eav8

I have ctp and nothing else. I live in country. I do all my own repairs. I don't drive like an idiot and I have not had insurance other than ctp since 1990. No accidents in all that time......oh crap I'd better get insurance now as I've just jinxed myself.
hmm
project #1: Ea series1 Spac conversion to straight gas; 351Cleveland; T5; EB dash; sunroof and more as I get to them. :evilsasmo
Fully road legal and cruising in QLD!!
---------------------------------------------------
Happy dealings with; PROTD, !gn!t!on, Big_waity,Phongus
eav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:29 AM   #28
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I have ctp and nothing else. I live in country. I do all my own repairs. I don't drive like an idiot and I have not had insurance other than ctp since 1990. No accidents in all that time......oh crap I'd better get insurance now as I've just jinxed myself.
hmm
thats pretty foolish really, i'd be p i s s e d off if someone crashed into me and they had no insurance. they'd be paying for the repairs thats for sure. by the way accidents are always caused by stupid driving, theres other factors like fatigue etc.

anyway im with QBE through austbrokers. im paying $670 for full comp. and it goes down to $590 by when i turn 21. my exhaust cat back it covered but i havent told them about the rear springs, im not really sure if im meant to have them or not, i dont think i am. oh well hopefully if something happened they wont notice! its not like it makes the car that much lower and its still got standard shocks.
i went to aami first and the first question they asked is if it was an xr6, which it is so they pretty much hung up on me! not littery of course! other insurance places like justcar quoted $1900 for my car with exhaust and the excess was also $1900! i cant really afford that kind of price!!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #29
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
hmm

Better hope you (or anyone else driving your car) doesnt hit a BMW or MB, they will sue you for all you are worth when they find out you have no insurance, and the repair bills on those cars are HUGE

Better hope that anyone who hits you has comprehensive, because if they dont, you are both f%^cked

Better hope that when your car is stolen the thieves are good kind people who leave your car undamaged and dont keep it, otherwise you, my friend, are f%^cked

Better hope that when you have an accident that you have good health insurance, because all that is covered by ctp is the medical costs of the people in the car you hit, not yourself or your passenger

Less than 50% of cars on the road have anything more than ctp. This just makes it more compelling to get comprehensive yourself. Yes, it may be $1000 a year, but considering that travelling in motor vehicles is the most dangerous thing Aussies do in their day to day lives, isnt having some backup important??
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #30
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

RACV quoted me 1500 with wheels, lowered and AAMI quoted me 1400 wheels, lowered, stereo. so high coz im 17...

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post