Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Xa gt-ho

Ausrtalian muscle car mag has out now the definitive look back at the XA GT
Not bad.
But i would say there was only one XA GT-HO ever made and the other 3 were only XA GT built up for racing and that's all they were.
A lot of bull was made of the phase 4 motor but it was tamer then the P3
All this rubbish about the so called top speed is only mainly down to diff ratio.
Bring it on.

castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Xa gt-ho

Hear i put them XA GT-HO in capitals.
Old 30-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AMC is a mere shadow of its once great self

bottom of budgie cage poo catcher mag
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
wozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
AMC is a mere shadow of its once great self

bottom of budgie cage poo catcher mag
Whey did they hire Paul gover he is a muppet
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Ausrtalian muscle car mag has out now the definitive look back at the XA GT
Not bad.
But i would say there was only one XA GT-HO ever made and the other 3 were only XA GT built up for racing and that's all they were.
A lot of bull was made of the phase 4 motor but it was tamer then the P3
All this rubbish about the so called top speed is only mainly down to diff ratio.
Bring it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIONIC MAN
its not a hard choice... 8 cylinders and a blower from factory. tick THAT box!
I didn't think things were so bad that you would have to buy a Holden though?
::taking cover::

Yes the motors were basically the same with the head modification on the early CK617 motors fitted to the HO3s carried over to the HO4s...........if Ford Au modified a standard GT to be raced as a HO and also today recognise that car as a HO it doesn't really matter what your opinion is in the scheme of things.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
Yes the motors were basically the same with the head modification on the early CK617 motors fitted to the HO3s carried over to the HO4s...........if Ford Au modified a standard GT to be raced as a HO and also today recognise that car as a HO it doesn't really matter what your opinion is in the scheme of things.

Cheers Mick
It's not my opinion it's a fact the 3 were just GT they came with 12 slots the HO came with mags and a plate GT-HO end of story.

If you were to buy a XW -Y GT-HO the plate tells the story that it is what it is, no one is going to pay big $ for no plate.

And any road the race cars were modded far more than the Phase 4 like panhard rod on one some have 4 bolt mains Phase 4 does not.

And all the hoo ha about the RPO83 it's just a 780 Holley and extractors and the winged sumps well who knows, some have a bigger cam some say maybe dealer fitted to you know etc.

When looking at the Holden LH torana L34 joh blow could not buy them you had to have a cams licence to get them and they came with extras in the boot. so it most likely was just people in the know who bought the RPO83 as well i don't think joh blow turns up and here we go sump exh carb no way !
Old 31-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not my opinion it's a fact the 3 were just GT they came with 12 slots the HO came with mags and a plate GT-HO end of story.

If you were to buy a XW -Y GT-HO the plate tells the story that it is what it is, no one is going to pay big $ for no plate.

And any road the race cars were modded far more than the Phase 4 like panhard rod on one some have 4 bolt mains Phase 4 does not.

And all the hoo ha about the RPO83 it's just a 780 Holley and extractors and the winged sumps well who knows, some have a bigger cam some say maybe dealer fitted to you know etc.

When looking at the Holden LH torana L34 joh blow could not buy them you had to have a cams licence to get them and they came with extras in the boot. so it most likely was just people in the know who bought the RPO83 as well i don't think joh blow turns up and here we go sump exh carb no way !
We'll it is your opinion and not much else..........so your logic means that if a car manufacturer plucks a specific car from a production line then sends it to its in house tuner to be massaged and fitted with a bunch of special homologation parts and then raced as that homologation special it is still in your eyes only the original donor car........this was a fairly common practice back in the day with car manufacturers both here and in the US and today these cars are recognised as the variant they became rather than the original donor car, good luck making this one fly

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Desirability really depends on what you like in a car?

A factory Phase 4 with a little piece of tin that says HO.

Or

A factory race prepped, blue printed, basically hand rebuilt by Ford Special Vehicles GT with factory roll cage etc.

AS for the RPO 83, you obviously have no idea.

The RPO 083 option was a "no cost" option that XA GT buyers were not told about, you just happen to get it as Ford slipped them in under the radar. Pretty well documented. So no, no-one "ordered" an RPO 083.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Or

A factory race prepped, blue printed, basically hand rebuilt by Ford Special Vehicles GT with factory roll cage etc.

The RPO 083 option was a "no cost" option that XA GT buyers were not told about, you just happen to get it as Ford slipped them in under the radar. Pretty well documented. So no, no-one "ordered" an RPO 083.
The factory Phase 4 with the little piece of tin anyday, my absolute dream car.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
The factory Phase 4 with the little piece of tin anyday, my absolute dream car.
If I had to choose I'd struggle, but I might go for the green car too...only because of the sunroof...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Or

Lets say i bought a XA GT back in 1972 and just did my own work to it or any other car say and made it better ? only people who knew what was done was benerficial as to making it a better car would maybe pay the extra for the car when it comes to selling it.
Or we have a genuine XY GT-HO and a mock HO but fact is the mock is the latest tec and a far better car to drive etc. the original is still worth more.

Cars one two and three are race cars not a Phase 4 at all just GT with bits of this and bits of that, not even original.

As for the RPO 83 people did know and some did not and that has been documented. but fact is i could stick a 780 and extractors to a XA GT as well and that don't make it worth the dollars some clowns make out, it's the same thing.

Back in 1972 one could buy a XA GT then get the engine worked to HO spec or more better brakes etc even your local ford dealer could do it for you if you wanted to fork out to do it. so you come into the dealer crying the HO is dead i can't get what i wanted. then a informed dealer informs you patting you on the back we can make you one bro ! it's not that hard to do.

Fact is genune matching number cars is where the bullshit stops.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lets say i bought a XA GT back in 1972 and just did my own work to it or any other car say and made it better ? only people who knew what was done was benerficial as to making it a better car would maybe pay the extra for the car when it comes to selling it.
Or we have a genuine XY GT-HO and a mock HO but fact is the mock is the latest tec and a far better car to drive etc. the original is still worth more.

Cars one two and three are race cars not a Phase 4 at all just GT with bits of this and bits of that, not even original.

As for the RPO 83 people did know and some did not and that has been documented. but fact is i could stick a 780 and extractors to a XA GT as well and that don't make it worth the dollars some clowns make out, it's the same thing.

Back in 1972 one could buy a XA GT then get the engine worked to HO spec or more better brakes etc even your local ford dealer could do it for you if you wanted to fork out to do it. so you come into the dealer crying the HO is dead i can't get what i wanted. then a informed dealer informs you patting you on the back we can make you one bro ! it's not that hard to do.

This kind of reminds of when the car in front of me goes around a roundabout a few times before choosing an exit.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

how many genuine matching numbers GTs do you own
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Xa gt-ho

Quote:

look you are entitled to your own opinion and I don't think there is any doubt that the reason for this thread is inflammatory hence the use of in your opening post. from previous posts you seem to have read many books/magazines about ford and its motors hence your previous threads and the interest you have in casting dates etc. im surprised about your reference to winged sumps in the rpo its extremely unlikely any rpos got these which if you are into amc you should be aware of. SOME of the people replying here have lived through the era owned and still own the cars and seen documented many of them in their unrestored state. I have not seen anything posted by you to indicate you have at least documented proof of some of your claims otherwise we will continue to dance around the same mulberry bush. your post should have been started in the muscle car boom in order for you to get the responses you wish for. back then there were many more people on aff willing to comment constructively and in many cases get actual answers....I think the true answers are what you are REALLY after but you like to stir the pot as a means of getting to them!
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
look you are entitled to your own opinion and I don't think there is any doubt that the reason for this thread is inflammatory hence the use of in your opening post. from previous posts you seem to have read many books/magazines about ford and its motors hence your previous threads and the interest you have in casting dates etc. im surprised about your reference to winged sumps in the rpo its extremely unlikely any rpos got these which if you are into amc you should be aware of. SOME of the people replying here have lived through the era owned and still own the cars and seen documented many of them in their unrestored state. I have not seen anything posted by you to indicate you have at least documented proof of some of your claims otherwise we will continue to dance around the same mulberry bush. your post should have been started in the muscle car boom in order for you to get the responses you wish for. back then there were many more people on aff willing to comment constructively and in many cases get actual answers....I think the true answers are what you are REALLY after but you like to stir the pot as a means of getting to them!
The purpose is to debate.
If someone is serious they look into things in depth, now look at detective Lt Columbo he has to go through procedures to find out the truth the best he can. but some people have superficial interest and that's fine because most are like that.
But i am not superficial in my interest and search for the facts and truth and the fact is I never was ever superficial.
I love the 1969 to when perky won bathurst in the holden powered car but from then on i have no interest in what they were doing as to me that's got nothing to do with Fords and holdens at all so you can't debate because there is nothing to debate as they are not holdens and fords at all.
I loved them days going to the races and the passion that people had for the battle was fantastic you would see the fur fly waving their arms around jumping up and down swearing and abusing you because you were on the opposing team. it was great ! so i am only in my 50's bro and i know the cars when they were like new you know.
Old 30-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #16
nstg8a

I'd normally agree on the whole 'there's only one true XA HO, but I also respect the intelligence of others as well, and when you see someone like the Bowden's prepared to invest heavily in the uncomplianced HO's, well I will go with their judgement on this one.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I'd normally agree on the whole 'there's only one true XA HO, but I also respect the intelligence of others as well, and when you see someone like the Bowden's prepared to invest heavily in the uncomplianced HO's, well I will go with their judgement on this one.
You've hit the nail on the head, "uncomplianced".
The only reason the 3 are/were so valuable is they were BUILT by special vehicles for racing to GTHO specs before the program was scrapped.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
anto
Za Dom spremni

cool story
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ahh, its moments like this that remind me of 4Vman.
Damn I wish he would come back, it would be set straight in minutes.

For mine, I believe there is only 1 XA GTHO, because that's what left the factory.
Do the 3 race prepped cars count, most certainly, but only as that, race prepped GT's of a stalled programme.

Would I chose between the two, nope, id gladly have either or both.
Each one of them has a place in Australian automotive folklore.

Im sure the Bowdens would cherish the opportunity to display the compliance XA HO in their museum and I bet 'The Dentist' would love a hot lap of Mt Panorama in the race version.

For us mere mortals its just comforting to know that people recognise the significance that these vehicles play in history and have taken responsibility of maintaining them.
Just be thankful for all.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #20
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to only gen Phase 5 XB GT-HO Hardtop ?

Now let see i wonder what they would of been like if for real if i had some sway at ford aus.
The last of the 4V engines ended in 1974 i have a 19/11/1974 4V head down as being cast then. so we could of got this engine if it were not for all the histeriour of the so called rocketships 170 mph bull idiots went on with.

It most likely would be an open chamber 4V heads so lower comp maybe a cobra jet engine or HO ? with more comp then our USA boys 7.9:1 that would be easy but the cam would maybe the good old USA 1972-4 HO solid and that with 4 bolt mains ? not bad performer. maybe just maybe we could of had enought to last until the much loved ADR27A in the XC.

The XC 5.8L could of had a bit bigger cam in the Cobra as the yanks could do it with their emission laws. our better leaded fuel with more compression even at 8.9:1 is better than the yanks even if we ran 2V heads and extractors she would poke along better to hose off them holdens and keep the same thing with the XD and the XE could of got aussie 4 bolt mains.

I think the Phase would of ended with the XB then the Cobra with the XC then the ESP with the XD-E or would it be Cobra HO then ESP-HO
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
I have to only gen Phase 5 XB GT-HO Hardtop ?
You mean these ones??

This subject always intrigues me... The facts are the facts, and they've been documented and brought up so many times it is actually hard to believe....

What about the 'Phantom' GT-HO cars that Ford produced? Cars that rolled down the production line, have compliance plates and 54H body, everything checks out, and yet Ford themselves have no record what so ever of the cars being produced? I suppose they are not 'original' or 'genuine' even though they certainly exist.

What about the export cars like the South African XY GT-HO Phase III (yes I said GT-HO not GT... If you don't know about it then do some more homework) they are as 'original' and 'genuine' as all the others.

How about Bill Bourke's one-off masterpieces (XR, XT, XW) ?? Or his Australian Delivered Mustang Fastback GT that nobody knows about?? Or Wayne Drapers big block coupes?? The list goes on.

There were lots of examples of unusual cars that left the factory, lot 6, and other 'sections' of Ford.... some were more official than others...

And this is where provable history is paramount when people make claims to the origin of vehicles.

In any case, the discussion lives on and I'm sure we'll be here again some time soon..........
Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice pics but I thought the thread was about the "validity" of the 3 non complianced xa prototypes and whether they should be considered phase fours....
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ahh, its moments like this that remind me of 4Vman.
Damn I wish he would come back, it would be set straight in minutes.
What we need is to get the Legendary 4V man and the Editor of Street Fords Roy Velardi together on this subject.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
What we need is to get the Legendary 4V man and the Editor of Street Fords Roy Velardi together on this subject.
Agree 100% Roy did a brillant job with all the research and tracing all the previous owners on the only plated XAGTHO. So good I bought 5 copies of each issue of street fords that contained the Phase 4.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #25
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
Agree 100% Roy did a brillant job with all the research and tracing all the previous owners on the only plated XAGTHO. So good I bought 5 copies of each issue of street fords that contained the Phase 4.
Cheers

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #26
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I reckon it might look like this if you do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfQZ1zGvnhc
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #27
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
i reckon it might look like this if you do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfqz1zgvnhc
lol!!!
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
i reckon it might look like this if you do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfqz1zgvnhc
lol

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #29
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Bring back the smiley/rep points and Norm might come back
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
Bring back the smiley/rep points and Norm might come back
And Flappist...