Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Turbo Fairmont Ghia

Excuse my ignorance if this has already been touched upon but why on earth is there no Fairmont Ghia Turbo? Can anyone say VL Calais Turbo? Nearly twenty years later and these cars are still cult items ( Lets not get started on the fools that this car is still popular for ) The fact remains that surely there is a market for an inconspicous turbo sedan for 50k with a highish level of luxury? Engineering wise I could not imagine there is too many hassles?

Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes There Is.
FPV Force 6
Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe it has the XR6T Engine
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
Yes There Is.
FPV Force 6
Typhoon Engine
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
Yes There Is.
FPV Force 6
Weeee bit of a price difference. Not to mention hardly subtle.

I reckon it'd a great idea. Can't be too hard to make one or two extra ECU/BEM/whatever types. I guess Ford reckon the leather option in the XR6T is enough.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

The force is 70k and a rip off :
And it is based on the fpv turbo 6. The logic of a Ghia turbo is that it truly is a performance luxury model. And it is availabe as a territory?
Old 22-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Available on the territory. Typed too fast.
Old 22-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPV tells us there is a market for understated performance vehicles. The Force 6 still stands out like dogs nads. A turbo ghia has no body kit and that fabulous front end and sportish suspension.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
The force is 70k and a rip off :
And it is based on the fpv turbo 6. The logic of a Ghia turbo is that it truly is a performance luxury model. And it is availabe as a territory?
thats what a Force 6 is. a turbo Fairmont ghia with body kit and rims.
Old 23-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
thats what a Force 6 is. a turbo Fairmont ghia with body kit and rims.

Might want to check the front end as there is a lot different there.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry even better.
Same engine as the Typhoon
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was quick!!!!!!!!!!
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #12
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

You can always just whack the typhoon motor into the fairmont.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #13
Franks
Starter Motor

You guys miss the point of the question.

Screw the thinly disguised Typhoon they call "Force 6" try hard name anyway.

Acosta 32 is suggesting a Fairmont with the XR6 Turbo engine. No XR front and rear. A Fairmont with a Turbo.

I wish mine had it. Not everyonne has to parade what they have or need the attention, just want to enjoy it.

I think Fords "Dumb Department" have missed the point - Again. Once again handing the market to Holden.
Franks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #14
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

A manual fairmont ghia turbo. mmmm just maybe it'd be the car to win back some respect to ford that l so dearly need. l also dislike the now far too common xr front so the force 6 is out not to mention the price of the thing.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, if Ford made a manual turbo Ghia all you guys would each buy one?

A new one that is, not a 3rd hand 100,000km old one five years from now......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #16
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Yes if fords attitude to after sales service and warranty fix up's has changed since the previous 2 new fords l wasted my hard earned on.
Old 23-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Mate, that line is getting old. And who knows, in a few years you might be eating those words.

There is a market place for this car, the 3v just doesn't cut it against the LS2 Calias.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #18
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the Fairmont Ghia at the Motor show and absolutly loved it and all for $46k (very good price). A turbo variant would be what - about $51K? Hmm a lot cheaper than the rip off awkward looking Force 6.

If Ford made a Fairmont Ghia turbo for about $50K I would buy one in a heartbeat (as I am in car hunting mode at the moment) in black with ZF six speed auto.

As it stands it looks like its down to a new WRX Club Spec 9 or a new Liberty GT. I don't want another XR6 (I want a change) but would gladly step into a Fairmont T due to the significant cosmetic differences. So there you go Ford you just lost a sale from being slack.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mate, that line is getting old. And who knows, in a few years you might be eating those words.

There is a market place for this car, the 3v just doesn't cut it against the LS2 Calias.
Is it getting old?

The majority of people asking for this manual ghia turbo are not driving new cars. Ford sell NEW cars.

The last factory manual ghia was the EA2. I know because I bought one. I held onto it for 250,000km because there was not anything I wanted to replace it. The eb/d/f ghias were auto and the XR range were to povvo as far as interior was concerned so I just waited.
I asked repeatedly for a manual ghia and was told there was such a small market for it that it was not available.
In the end I bought an EL because the wheels fell off the EA.

Traditionally the ghia was fitted a higher performance 6 cylinder engine than the rest of the range other than, of course, the XR6. My AU ghia was fitted with the SVCT variant.

Ford are not always stupid is their research and marketing. The XR6T and Territory are classic examples of determining a market need that no one else has covered.

With the release of the BA, the GT-P was the first manual "pseudo ghia" as it was the only FPV fitted with all the ghia goodies like climate control etc as well as the FPV engine and accessories. I jumped at the idea.

Manual sales make up a VERY small percentage of falcon sales. Most XR6T and XR8s are autos, even more now the ZF box is available. Almost all BF F6s are autos, manuals are VERY rare.

To create another variant cost goes up. If there is a manual or turbo ghia then there are a squillion extra parts that need to be held as well as all the extra testing and training.
Ford don't just bolt bits on. Every variant is tested exhastively for nigglies and problems and even then they can get bitten.
Look at the BA2 F6 clutch event. An excellent system proven on the GT40 as strong and reliable fell apart on the T6 due to harmonics and vibrations.

As far as the doesn't cut it against the LS2 calais, what has that got to do with anything. This really is not V8 supercars on the road. The Holden/Ford thing as quite artificial.

The hardest thing to do in life is see from others points of view. If some of our members were is charge then the Falcon GTHO would have a 500kw V10 and be made of titanium, weigh 800kg and come factory fitted with a cage and wheelie bar. This would be the only model, but would come in wagon and ute variants and lots of stripes and colours. It would not sell well but would beat all Holdens over the 400m and the mutants would be able to dribble down the pub how back before they went broke, Ford made the fastest car in Australia......

The AU2 TS50 was a manual Ghia with a XR8 engine. It was not overly sucessful. The AU3 TS50 was more sporty and was the most sucessful of the TS series but most were auto.

The point I am trying to make is that there is a bigger picture. Ford do a huge amount of research into model development and make what they think will sell in large enough numbers to make a profit.

And that is why there is no manual ghia/wagon/futura/fairmont/fairlane/ltd or why there is no panelvan or dualcab falcon ute or 4WD ute etc etc etc...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #20
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

Quote:

The hardest thing to do in life is see from others points of view. If some of our members were is charge then the Falcon GTHO would have a 500kw V10 and be made of titanium, weigh 800kg and come factory fitted with a cage and wheelie bar. This would be the only model, but would come in wagon and ute variants and lots of stripes and colours. It would not sell well but would beat all Holdens over the 400m and the mutants would be able to dribble down the pub how back before they went broke, Ford made the fastest car in Australia......

Bravo!!! :king:
Old 23-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #21
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I would like to see a Fairmont Ghia with the option of a Turbo I6. One of the things that I liked about the EL Fairmont Ghia was the fact it had a HP motor, even if it was 2kws less than XR6 and slightly sportier suspension. As the Turbo is a much bigger difference than the HP, should only be an option, for those that don't want one. I cannot see it being to hard in developing in relation to costs.
Old 23-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is that there is a bigger picture. Ford do a huge amount of research into model development and make what they think will sell in large enough numbers to make a profit.
Im not going to quote all of that, but I completely understand the testing and development side of it more than you know. Which is exactly why I crap on about the fact that there is no good reason why it cant be done.

Ford should be doing everything they can to get sales. They already have done all the R&D for a Turbo manual/auto Ghia. How? Technically its just a XR6T. The only difference is the front bumper, which would effect cooling, but thats easy to get around.

As for the manual issue, the I6T + T56 combo is that good that in the last BFYB they have both versions in the same category; that says enough doesn't.

I dont care about a GTHO, its not even needed, but when there are easy fixes for Fords somewhat aging line up then why the heck not do it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #23
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I apologize for starting a thread and taking so long to get back to it. A few people have ran away with the idea and i just want to clarify my initial idea. A turbo ghia would be exactly that, A BF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia with a turbo bolted on and applicable brake package. NO BODYKIT!!! For the love of god! I want an inconspicous ghia that smokes @&$@ heads in Commodores. They will never know what hit them. My second car was a VL Calais Turbo : I paid 11,000 for my clean, original and no mods example. I was 19 and had the most stock car of all my friends and the slowest! But people respected the engineering and collectability of the car. Not everyone wants 20in wheels and a Batmobile wing. I am only 24 but i would buy a Ghia turbo over an XR6 Turbo. Something unique. A BMW 330i is a quick luxury vehicle but you would not know until its 400mtrs up the road and you are looking for second. Theres a nice little joy in owning a sleeper luxury vehicle.
Old 21-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
And that is why there is no dualcab falcon ute or 4WD ute etc etc etc...
Actually I am inclined to disagree with this little point, particularly in regard to a Territory-based dual cab ute. Consider the kidney-smashing ride that 4x4 utes like Hiluxes, Navaras et al provide, and that a lot of those sorts of utes go to builders, site workers and mining companies and rarely see the use of dual range 4x4, (but still have a need for some sort of AWD capability) and I reckon there could be a nice little niche in there for a Territory based ute.

Give it different front end sheetmetal so it doesnt look like a territory, and stretch the wheelbase a bit to give it a decent ute space, but everything else would be straight from the Territory parts bin. Would they sell 1000 a month? I reckon they could.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Actually I am inclined to disagree with this little point, particularly in regard to a Territory-based dual cab ute. Consider the kidney-smashing ride that 4x4 utes like Hiluxes, Navaras et al provide, and that a lot of those sorts of utes go to builders, site workers and mining companies and rarely see the use of dual range 4x4, (but still have a need for some sort of AWD capability) and I reckon there could be a nice little niche in there for a Territory based ute.

Give it different front end sheetmetal so it doesnt look like a territory, and stretch the wheelbase a bit to give it a decent ute space, but everything else would be straight from the Territory parts bin. Would they sell 1000 a month? I reckon they could.
Crewman never sold 1000 a month and it was basically what you are describing
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #26
janek
Ripping it up

Quote:

being the owner of an AU ghia, i'd say yes.

If they brought out a new turbo ghia in manual, with everything i'd expect from a ghia, my car would be for sale tomorrow, and i'd be harassing the bank on monday. People love luxury. I'd be sad to see the au go, but it'd be well worth it
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #27
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I can't understand why there arn't turbo Fairlanes and LTDs on the market......

Did anone see this months Wheels mag which suggest that Ford is considering dropping the V8 engibe...again (remeber how successful that was in the 80's & 90's!!).
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #28
NA XR6
!!

Force 6 inconspicuous
yeah right real subtle
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #29
WASP
Whipple Induced

No point having a Fairmont Ghia Turbo when the Force 6 is available. It costs slightly more than what a Fairmont Ghia Turbo would have cost (use the Turbo Territory Ghia as a guide at $65k+ORC), but has much better performance equipment levels (Bembro's, 19" wheels, body kit etc). The Force 6 should hold much better reasale being an FPV than the traditionally dismal used value performance of the Fairmonts.

For now you'll have to be content with optioning up the luxury pack on a manual or auto XR6T. Either that or get a VE 6.0 Calais V if you don't mine getting a Holden.:

Also for the record, the BF2 XR6T base engine is identical to the F6/Force 6 units. The extra power comes from the software and bolt on differences.
Old 23-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #30
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Fairmont Ghia is $46k +ORC

A turbo varient would be around $50k + ORC.

Force six is $70k +ORC and looks more like a F6 or GT than a Ghia.

I wanted a Fairmont Ghia Turbo. Ford said they will never build it. Too hard. Marketing issues apparently. It would kill sales of the XR6T..

I wanted a car that looks exactly like a Fairmont Ghia.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post