Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
sandmanls1

Default New Jeep targets Territory

looks like pretty good value from 45k with Xenons and reverse camera. Quadra Lift air suspension is $2,500 extra on the lower models.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578290003B72D

also a test on caradvice where they give it a good rap.

Would you buy one?

Old 31-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good value, but I would still pick a Kluger, Prado or Terri over that thing. American build quality is a big turn off, even if it isn't far off the Territory. Besides, it would probably be a very expensive car to run as it gets older, spare parts etc. I'm suprised it didn't have a big plastic slab dashboard and a column shifter.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I'm suprised it didn't have a big plastic slab dashboard and a column shifter.
Have you ever been inside an American car before?
Haven't seen a coloum shifter on a car built in the last 10 years.

I'd buy a Jeep GC over an similar vehicle, especially a Territory.

5.7L Hemi... nice.

The GC is pretty good off road too. I don't think Territory is made to go off road.

I think the Grand Chekka is a cheaper version on the Range Rover.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should add, it's stupid to say it's aimed at the Territory or the like. The Grand Cherokee is in a different league all together from softroaders/crossovers. It may not be a tank, so it has the on-road manners as a crossover, but it has the towing capability and off-road ability of a real 4x4, which it is. I just read the part of the VM Motori diesel (I didn't think Fiat had a 3L diesel). You can't get a Jap 3.0L diesel that puts out 180kw and 550Nm! More like 120kw/400Nm! Don't mention the new Nissan engine, which is actually made by Renault. Also, the article does not mention the fact that the 5 speed auto will be gone in Chryslers soon. Soon replaced by a ZF 8 speed!

The all-new 2011 Dodge Durango is basically the 7 seat version. It's on a longer wheelbase version of the same platform, and there is said to be a Jeep-branded version coming also. So that takes care of the article's concern of the lack of the 3rd row.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I drove one last year (the only RHD in AU) as a friend works for Chrysler.
Compared to the other cars in the Jeep range (again I have driven just about everyone of them) it is a huge leap forward.
Styling is a little bland but the interior is a huge leap in quality and refinement. Fiat's influence on the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge brand is already showing and this is the first of what to expect.
IMO the dynamics are not yet up to the Territory but would leave the Territory for dead offroad. It is far more capable there but the steering around town is a little too light.
The engine I drove was the new Penstar 6 cylinder which was a big improvement over the older 6s but still had some way to go.
I wouldn't write the new Jeep off without giving it a go. This group are under new direction and it is a good direction.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chrysler has been upping the build quality since the beginning of its partnership with Mercedes. This new model is done completely after that partnership ended, and raised the bar even further. Motor Trend did a write-up on its off-road capability tested in Moab, UT. It looks to be up there with the Range Rover now. If not, then pretty close to it - for a lot less money. And that's the only other car you can really compare it too really. You're not going to get a vehicle of that quality, size, off-road ability, on-road refinement, with towing capability for that price anywhere. Sorry, but the Japs haven't really progressed as much, and I find them to be bland and very average at best. The Prado is mostly the same today as it was in 2003, and it sucks off-road (from experience) and the towing capacity is significantly lower.

Interesting on the Comments about the Pentastar V6, it's certainly getting a lot of media attention. Hopefully there will be a new V6 diesel that's even better than the Merc engine too.

Last edited by chevypower; 31-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just have to comment on this thread as I have done plenty of research on the new Jeep Grand Cherokee & I have not seen 1 negative report in any sense & I have read plenty.
Reason is it will be our next 4WD
Ok from all reports this one is light years ahead of all Grand Chekka's that have come before it & that it is not only good well fantastic offroad but also drives like a car well almost on the road.
Its NVH is amazing & the V6 even gives decent economy.
For a couple of K you can add air suspension which has various settings starting from the parked height to allow easy entry etc to a fully up height that gives you the most ground clearance of a vehicle in its class.
It can go anywhere any good (standard) 4wd can go & will do it easy.
And at this price which is way cheaper than I thought it was going to be a great bargain!
If you want a vehicle to drop the kids off to school that can also tow huge weights & handle itself well offroad (not just sandunes) this one is for you.
I know its for me

Last edited by Seduce XR6; 31-01-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh it was also 4x4 Australia's 4WD of the year for 2011
Old 31-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am really considering a 5.7 Hemi one now I know it's cheaper then I thought it was.
Old 31-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default looks the goods

being a Terri owner i was looking forwards to the new one but so far it seems a big disapointment but I will wait till I see it in the metal

So I am suprised i am even looking at the Jeep!!!! bloody good value AND a real 4wd to boot for $45 k and the interior looks great
I think Ford have missed the boat with the terri to long in development for bugger all change maybe??
What me not owning a Ford didnt think it would be
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189
being a Terri owner i was looking forwards to the new one but so far it seems a big disapointment but I will wait till I see it in the metal
I a huge Terry fan and I've seen the new one in the metal and been underwhelmed, Tizzy Japanese front with the same sides.

But I loved our Terry so also suspending judgement.
Old 31-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
stang65
FPRJET

Pfftt it`s a jeep need I say more, They have so many structual issues(today tonight guy washes his car and it floods through the seals can`t be fixed) They have flopped in Australia the 300c only sold because it looked Ganster.

I don`t think the terry would have anything to worry about.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Pfftt it`s a jeep need I say more, They have so many structual issues(today tonight guy washes his car and it floods through the seals can`t be fixed) They have flopped in Australia the 300c only sold because it looked Ganster.

I love people like this^
"Oh I saw a report on Today Tonight saying they were bad, so they all must be."
I Don't know whether to or

Guess what, I once saw a report on ACA about someone who had a lemon FORD. That said, No One should buy Ford under any circumstances, they have SOOO many problems.

BTW I have a Jeep, never had a problem with it.

This thread will probably turn out to be similar to the Land Rover thread all over again.
Keyboard warriors will come in and make big claims about stuff they heard a story about, normally from an unreliable source.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
BTW I have a Jeep, never had a problem with it.

I used to love my old J10 Jeep, only problems I had was it would take 30 to 45 mins to fill at the bowser and would only just make Canberra to Liverpool and had to fill at the first station or run out, this was on the old highway. Oh an daily knee bruises from the vibrating very long gear stick.

When I decide its time for my 2004 Territory to go, it will be for a Grand Cherokee for luxury or a Wrangler Rubicon for fun. Will partly depend on what I do with my Liberty GT turbo when it comes off lease.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
When I decide its time for my 2004 Territory to go, it will be for a Grand Cherokee for luxury or a Wrangler Rubicon for fun. Will partly depend on what I do with my Liberty GT turbo when it comes off lease.
Mark you will be in heaven in a new Jeep as they have improved a great deal since you had yours & it would bring back all those memories from your young days
Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
sandmanls1

It's based on the same platform as the new Mercedes M class so you could say you are getting a 1/2 price M class literally. Diesel should be good with 185kw and 550nm.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
bungarra

Quote:

Wasn't there a guy in Qld on Today Tonight who has had to FG Utes that are both lemons? The first one had so many faults the dealer didn't want to know about it and claimed they had fixed things, then Ford stepped in when things got ugly with him bagging Ford and the dealer, then the new FG ute goes wrong with 47kms on the clock.

All car companies have issues at some stage, but like was said before, if Ford don't build the product, you have to buy it somewhere.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Besides the laughable Today Tonight comment your sales comment is WRONG!!

Quote:
Jeep 42.5% (5975)
Of the three Chrysler brands in Australia, Jeep has gained most by being the offroad/SUV marque. In percentage terms Jeep sales have picked up as much as they have because Chrysler factories supplying the product for the Australian market are now in production again -- after a mandated shut-down for two months during the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. This left Chrysler Australia without stock and, along with the time required to ship vehicles to Australia, there was some delay in filling local customers' orders. These problems have been overcome since and Patriot has nearly doubled its sales, to use one example. Wrangler sales are up over 40 per cent and the Cherokee is running 60 per cent better than in 2009.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2011...-victors-23162
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.caradvice.com.au/101210/j...erokee-review/
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #20
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I agree to some extent people bagging out Jeeps for a couple of reasons this was for past models & not this new one which as I have said has not at this stage had a negative comment on any review I have found thus far.
This tells me that this new model is much improved over any Jeep that has come before it in all ways.
It will not be perfect however what vehicle is?
For its features, ability, design, build quality etc its one hell of a vehicle for 45k
TX AWD Terra or Grand Cherokee Laredo (lets compare the features & capability).
Of course it does depend on what you want your vehicle for & if its around town driving only then maybe a terra would be the choice to make over the Jeep?
Time will tell how good or bad the new Jeeps are but I bet you wont find front wheels falling off or windows falling down lol
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If people are happy with a Jeep and want to take the chance on nothing going wrong
in the middle of nowhere and waiting weeks for parts to arrive from Amreica that's fine.

If people are prepared to accept the fuel penalty that comes with a vehicle that is
nearly 200 Kg heavier than the Territory, that's also fine.

If people come on her squealing about nobody supporting the local industry and
then turn around and buy foreign products, then what does that say about us?

I would ask those people genuinely in the market for Jeep, Territory, Kluger ect to do
their sums, weigh up what works for them but be aware that buying an import also
means one less local car sold here. In our own way, we all have a part in the the local
vehicle industry and even though it seems like our one little sale doesn't count, it only
takes 500 people each month to think that way and sales of Territory become lack lustre.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-02-2011 at 08:24 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

I would ask those people genuinely in the market for Jeep, Territory, Kluger ect to do
their sums, weigh up what works for them but be aware that buying an import also
means one less local car sold here. In our own way, we all have a part in the the local
vehicle industry and even though it seems like our one little sale doesn't count, it only
takes 500 people each month to think that way and sales of Territory become lack lustre.
I agree with you in principal on what you say above however if Ford does not make the product then it is a bit hard to buy from them.

Also I myself have purchased 3 new Fords in the last 5 years or so at around 110k so I guess I have done my bit in recent times.

And when I have said the same sort of thing as you have in the past I have been flamed so maybe you will be also however as always its not the same for all members on here, if your popular you can say what you want it seems & if not you cant lol

I love Ford well I have my entire life & really still want to so maybe to go with the Jeep in the future a GS or XR8 would be nice
Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If people are prepared to accept the fuel penalty that comes with a vehicle that is

The Terri with it's 4L and 2000kgs and AWD is a frugal little thing isn't it?
It's combined fuel consumption is 12.5L
The new GC with the V6 is 11.4L

So your point on "fuel penalty" doesn't hold up.

Ok name an Australian built 4WD that has a pretty nice interior, A range of engines including Diesel, Petrol 6 and Petrol 8. Proper offroad ability with low range and as many features as the new GC. But still at a reasonable price??

I would support the local industry if they had a better variety of cars that were nice, but still a reasonable price.

There is only 1 locally built car that interests me, and that is the Falcon. So if I want anything but a large sedan, I would be looking at cars from overseas. That said I like some large sedans from overseas as well, so no guarantee I would by a Falcon over another sedan.

Also saying someone should support local industry for the sake of it is stupid.
Cars are expensive. I go to work day and night every week to pay for my car, So I am going to get the car that I LIKE and that makes me feel good. I am not just going to get an Australian car for the sake of it.
If they think Australian cars are not selling enough, then they should do something about it and improve the product to attract more people.

I think Jeep may be onto something here and will sell more GC then they have previously.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
The Terri with it's 4L and 2000kgs and AWD is a frugal little thing isn't it?
It's combined fuel consumption is 12.5L
The new GC with the V6 is 11.4L
Is that RWD or AWD?

Quote:
Ok name an Australian built 4WD that has a pretty nice interior, A range of engines including Diesel, Petrol 6 and Petrol 8. Proper offroad ability with low range and as many features as the new GC. But still at a reasonable price??
Next Territory has everything but the V8 and its hideous fuel economy.
Turbo Terry was withdrawn because it only had 169 sales in 2009.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Is that RWD or AWD?

Hideous fuel economy? My X5 is better on fuel than my Territory ever was, and it's a V8...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that RWD or AWD?

AWD.

The jeep is AWD and uses a litre less per 100. Teriotry is about as fuel efficient as most modern v8's. So a positive of the Terri is good fuel consumption is not true. I have nothing against the Terri but I am just pointing out facts.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that RWD or AWD?

I know your a bit one eyed when it comes to Fords but really saying the next territory has all the features of the new Grand Cherokee is just delusional

The Territory for a start is not a 4WD but an AWD & cannot really do anything off road of any substance though they do go well over sand dunes

It does not even come close to the list of standard features (comparing base models) & to whine about the Jeep being a new model & the Territory being still an old model in a way that means its not fair to compare them against each other is pathetic.

What matters is that both vehicles are for sale in 2011 as new vehicles & so is fair to offer a comparison

In any case the 2011 Territory is also a new model (dont forget the new Grand Cherokee is also just a facelift) well a thorough one but still a carry over for the last model more or less.

Have you even owned a Territory?

As for economy the territory we had was very heavy on the fuel around town, something like high 14's & that included 50% highway driving between towns so I imagine it would have been more like 16's if 100% town driving.

My current XR6 with the ZF 6 speed is sitting on 10.2 for the same driving conditions however even the new territory with the FG engine would I say sit around high 12's- 13's for my conditions.

Yes this is a Ford Forum however we all need to keep an open mind & see things for what they are & as you say be fair in our judgments
Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If people are happy with a Jeep and want to take the chance on nothing going wrong
in the middle of nowhere and waiting weeks for parts to arrive from Amreica that's fine.

STOP THE PRESSES PEOPLE!!

Its the buying public's fault that the territory has lacklustre sales!

Whew, thats a relief, here I was thinking it was because it is old & outdated & a neglected product!

Now, we can just blame the buying public. Stupid buying public.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #29
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree with your sentiments jpd80, I really do. Problem is that if you keep buying local product, and its not as good as the imports, and the dealer network is woeful and the manufacturer knows all that and hasn't done anything about it, but you still keep buying from them... well what does that say about the buyer?

I'm all for buying Aussie made products, but in this case Fords Australian division has to meet me (and others) half way and make a better product year on year. Not just something that has a different fault each year with a few carry over faults for interest.

That unfortunately is the Ford Australia experience for far to many of its current and past customers. Why I really don't know. It drives me nuts as I really like the basic product and can appreciate so much of it, but they always manage to screw it up.

I think its probably a lack of money to fix design and engineering faults on the line, a lack of money to fix the cars properly under warranty and a corporate and dealer network view of the world that is still stuck somewhere in the seventies. Whatever the case they are pushing people away from Australian made product, even when they have a competitive vehicle on paper.

I have one new weekend driver Ford to buy (last of the Aussie Falcons) and I am done too. The Terri will not be replaced by another as my wife has had enough of the problems we have had with the current. Basic design and function for us has been brilliant. I give Ford all due credit for the versatility, practicality and comfort of the Terri we own. Build quality, warranty support, customer service and customer care (there is a thought) Ford looses on all counts compared to our experience with Mazda. Not by a little bit, but by a huge gulf. Mazda will therefore get our business next time when the Terri is ready to go.

You buy the car once, but you have to live with it, year after year and Mazda for us, has done a much better job of that. For others it might be a Chrysler, Toyota or whatever, the point remains the same. Ford choose not to offer an equivalent experience to their customers. They know the problems they are all well documented and discussed to death in the media and yes, even on this forum. They just aren't' doing anything about it and by that choice, they have made the choice for many former Ford owners to move on to another brand.

And that story or one like it has been, I suspect, repeated all over Australia, year after year.

I want to buy Australian cars and Fords in particular. Its Ford that is stopping me from doing so and that isn't my or any other Australian buyers fault.

Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 03-02-2011 at 01:40 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #30
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXjXPr23yk