Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default vz calais/ss reviews,faults

Anybody ever owned a vz Calais or ss 5.7,auto?
Just curious,ive never driven a commodore or owned one and have no idea about them,common faults etc
Do they have gearbox/transmission issues like fords do,are the diff bushes rubbish,stuff like that.
Cheers
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: vz calais/ss reviews,faults

Better off asking on a commodore forum, they will most likely be able to give the best answers.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkachu View Post
Better off asking on a commodore forum, they will most likely be able to give the best answers.
This is the answer.

Ask the people who drive them and not those who knows someone who does.

I've owned them all and the VZ is better sorted than the earlier series models and none of them caused me any great headaches but I've not had a Calais, so talk to the owners who in most cases if they are not fanboys will give you an honest appraisal and an indication of what to look out for.

Go to LS1 and Just Commodores for some info.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkachu View Post
I swear sometimes there are more Holden people on here than Ford people
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
The forum is just a representation of society.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: vz calais/ss reviews,faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
I don't think you have to be a 'Ford' or 'Holden' people, my garage has quite often had both .... still has, because they are 'Made in Australia'.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I dis-like all commodores before the VE, but if it's a VZ it's a fair chance someone has wrung it's neck.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #8
pmacc

I owned a VZ Calais in V6 between 08-10, they are a pretty well sorted car with heaps of aftermarket options and very tune able. Only downside i can remember was when pushed they tend to under steer more than the BF and FG's.

Issues i can think off
They love to chew the insides of the rear tires due to the limits of the suspension geometry. (constant rotations are an easy soultion to it)
Radius rod bushes are usually don't last long (not hard nor expensive to replace)
They are known for being under braked, good set of pads and rotors will fix that or not braking so hard.
While i had no electrical issues, my mate with a high km Calais had issues with the electric windows

In the 8's from what i remember from my time on the ls1 forums, only real issues were oil leaks, cant remember many faults with the Auto 4L60 (its a pretty tough box)
as for diffs under normal use no issues (definitely no problems with diff clunk like the FG's) but if you cant resist doing lots of skids then i remember people having some issues especially with the factory LSD

Last edited by pmacc; 08-07-2016 at 11:57 PM.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
bingoTE50
Steve

I have a VZ statesman ( WL 5.7 ) . Radiator tanks can split as they are plastic . Automatic is a bit clunky in Power setting , I just drive in normal . Electrics are a bit funny , they have a master module that converts signals to all the electronics , common thing for the windows to play up . Somedays mine are fine next , its like the switch is buggered . Brakes are ordinary ,I had some cheap RDA perfomance discs and bendix pads fitted and it made a lot of difference . The transmission connection to the oil cooler ( external on mine ) can come loose , fix was to fit two clamps - genius ! . My car had 97k on it , now 113k going well. Rear suspension , in the VZ they fitted some arms like a ball joint for the stabilizer bar , replaced them ,and the front bushes done.They still get the same rattles in the doors like a VT ,mine is just starting. Being a VZ they are probably the best in the Series like the BF was. The 6.0 litre engine they used in the second half of the VZ life I have heard is thirsty for the extra bang . Mine is a 245kw 5.7 used in the International . The VZ also has a larger throttle body so they are more tunable than the VY I believe.Stock sound system does not have inputs or MP3 play . I get about 11.3 l/100 in mixed driving Logan to Eaglefarm daily . Under 10 l on a trip ,not bad for a Statesman Tank.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
bingoTE50
Steve

i had my auto services and diff oil done . Surprisingly the diff oil was dirty for the kays . Car was a one owner from Mt Isa and no towbar, trans fluid was good. So if a LSD get the diff oil done.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I know three people who had Commodores of that era. One was a VY Calais, exhaust only, gearbox went at 180,000 km. Second was a VY2 SS ute with tune, intake, exhaust, gearbox went at 130,000. The third had a VZ 6 Litre SS ute, tune, intake, exhaust, blew the diff at 90,000. The VZ was a manual, others auto.
Both VY's also required new radius rod bushes after 100,000km.
Personally they're not my cup of tea, they feel real flimsy with some years under them.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
I know three people who had Commodores of that era. One was a VY Calais, exhaust only, gearbox went at 180,000 km. Second was a VY2 SS ute with tune, intake, exhaust, gearbox went at 130,000. The third had a VZ 6 Litre SS ute, tune, intake, exhaust, blew the diff at 90,000. The VZ was a manual, others auto.
Both VY's also required new radius rod bushes after 100,000km.
Personally they're not my cup of tea, they feel real flimsy with some years under them.
By the sounds they aren't much better than fords in regards to diffs,gearboxes suspension etc
Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I am seriously bored with my g6et and want to get into another v8.
Not real keen to go down the boss modular road again so that leaves an au v8 or a commodore.
There are loads of holdens to look at but the unknown worries me lol.
Would be good to own a car that if the gearbox dies its not 7-8 grand to fix it...
Id love another 220kw xr8 but they are rarely found in good nick in perth.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My neighbour just replaced his gearbox in his VT 5.7l.
6 speed whatever it is.

His also chews through rear tyres at a rapid rate due to the geometry.

I see a few 220 XR8's being sold up here from time to time, recently a TS was for sale too. I'll PM you if I see any more.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
richzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Not real keen to go down the boss modular road again so that leaves an au v8 or a commodore.
Would be good to own a car that if the gearbox dies its not 7-8 grand to fix it...
All holdens prior to the 6l80E will have gearbox issues eventually the 4l60/65e just can't handle the ls motor.

Make your G6ET more exciting. $5-7K should get you a lot of exciting kw's.
richzx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #16
pmacc

Quote:
What about something old school?

Keep the G6ET for the daily drive and get something older that could possibly be put on historic/classic rego (so its cheap to run and insure) and if you pick right it will appreciate over time so spending coin wont feel like a lost cause. For example you can get a good ZH Fairlane with a 351 clevo for VZ money.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #17
Sioso
irregular member

If you want a VZ forget the 5.7 and go for the L76 6.0, much better engine and responds better to mods.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #18
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
If you want a VZ forget the 5.7 and go for the L76 6.0, much better engine and responds better to mods.
This 100%!

I've had 4 VY/VZ V8's. They are my absolute favourite late model commodore and prefer them to the VE/VF. They have no major problems with them and age better in terms of wear and tear than BF's. They generally have problems radiators and steering racks around 100,000ksm. The brakes are adequate, steering is great on the street with a set of Koni's or Bilsteins. Gearboxes are not expensive to fix and only really let go with hard driving over about 350rwkw which is then 4-5k for a full build. They can't be driven like a ZF 6 speed, downshifting it manually will kill it easily with stock power.

If you're looking to modify it go straight for a used harrop supercharger off gumtree when one comes up. Diff gears are a must with LS engines and extractors, cats, otr and tune gives a good pick up. Stock cat back is fine at that level unless you want noise.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #19
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacc View Post
What about something old school?

Keep the G6ET for the daily drive and get something older that could possibly be put on historic/classic rego (so its cheap to run and insure) and if you pick right it will appreciate over time so spending coin wont feel like a lost cause. For example you can get a good ZH Fairlane with a 351 clevo for VZ money.
The g6et is too good for a daily imo and im selling it,i just don't want it anymore,its a great looking car but that's where my love for it stops.
I also own an eb ghia v8 which is the shopping/taking the dogs to the vet car and ive owned that for 10 years so I cant sell that and we don't have room for 3 cars so the g6et is going,last in first out.
I want a cheaper car to have sitting around.
Ive owned old cars before and don't really like them,i had an xd a few years ago(my second) and got over it pretty quick,spent around 8 grand on parts on a $1000 purchase price,chasing down expensive parts gets a bit much.
Im keen to free up some cash to spend on my house too,guess im just getting more sensible in my old age(38) I certainly spend a lot more time inside my house than out driving.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #20
AJ09

I drove Commodores as company cars for 10 years, started with a VY series 1, VY series 2, then a VZ and finally a VE series 2. All were Exec / Omega level sedans.

We kept them to around 230,000 km, and I think they fared ok especially when I think about the roads mine travelled on throughout Qld and NSW.

The VE did have a few electrical gremlins: A/C used to die without warning, kept cooking relays apparently. Engine warning light used to come on in wet weather also. I guess this could happen on any car though.

Other than that, yes the earlier models I had chewed through rear tyres, noisy diffs and suspension etc but Falcons get those noises at high k's too.

Personally I prefer Falcons, however that's just my personal preference.
Prior to buying my FG I did look at VEs however their Factory LPG was dual with the tank in the boot and after my AU I wanted to get away from that.

I find the FG XR6 nicer to look at and more comfortable for my long legs and big feet.
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #21
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with Express and Linkachu ... see the Just Commodore forums.
Personally, I have a 2004 5.7 Monaro auto, bought new, problems so far ...... worn front castor bushes resulting in scrubbed tyres, fixed, nothing else to report. Very happy with it.
Get a well maintained one that hasn’t been used as a pretend V8supercar in Macca’s parking lot.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #22
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I had a VY1 SS (built late 2002) manual. Engine 5.7L used a heap (about 2L+ between 10K services). Engine was rattly even when warm (this was said to e the norm). Piston slap etc.
Diff was loud and whiny after 80,000kms just out of warranty, car was traded around this time and 4 years. Not that many other problems other than the bridgestone potenzas being ruined after 10,000kms on the rear (no burnouts or chirpies etc). Oh and it was a hot target for thieves, badges and wheels knocked off etc.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #23
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2004 VYII LS1 Wagon, 210,000km. No trans problems, diff is getting a little "grabby" and noisy, esp turning on over-run. Due for a fluid replacement this week, we'll see how that goes. Trans is fine, if a little slow. Tune made it a LOT more driveable, improved fuel consumption, more power, but changed the behaviour of the traction control, made it bearable!
Body is the major issue, with drivers door moving a lot now.
Haven't had major issues with rear suspension, but it chews through front link-pin bushes fairly quickly. Just replacing the driveshaft doughnuts as well.
Handling; the Queen Mary would have less understeer when pushed. Still, used to hose off my mates CV8 (he wasn't really trying, by the way ;-) )
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #24
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Some good info here,personally I think the fg has more serious/expensive issues lol
Surely a turbo 700(if that's the 4 speed holden box) is less than half the price of a zf trans to rebuild!
Basically the same kind of issues on the red side;)
Ive heard the diff comes out of commodore sedans alot easier too,no cradle dropping,can anyone confirm this?
Im not saying im running out to buy a vz ss but I like to keep my options open if the right car pops up
Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #25
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a VZ Acclaim V6 as a rental a while back, can't comment on the reliability but the car had quite a few k's on the dial and drove really nice. The only thing I can fault it on is the steering wheel. Imho the steering wheel feels awkward and looks quite ugly.

As far as reliability, from what I here the VZs are no better or worse than a BA or a BF. Each will have it's own pro's and con's, ultimately it'll come down to the car itself and the luck of the draw really. For example there's a lot of complaints about BA transmissions and the milkshake issue. I have a BA with 421,000KM on the original transmissions with the original radiator and no bypass. I only had a cooler installed 2 weeks ago. So really it comes down to luck and the car in question. If maintained well I see no reason why it shouldn't be mint.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #26
ashebxr8

[QUOTE=STINKY NINJA;5715054]Some good info here,personally I think the fg has more serious/expensive issues lol

What issues does the fg have? I have a couple of mates with vz ss's. Both of them once they got around the 180,000 km range have been nothing but money pits.
ashebxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #27
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Buy a car over ten years old be prepared to factor in some maintenance costs as the seller won't want to eat into the small amount they'll sell them for by doing the work for you.

That's why the info the current high kilometre owners can give is so important, they'll know if there are any big dollar issues to look for.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #28
STINKY NINJA
Banned

[QUOTE=ashebxr8;5715195]
Quote:
Some good info here,personally I think the fg has more serious/expensive issues lol

What issues does the fg have? I have a couple of mates with vz ss's. Both of them once they got around the 180,000 km range have been nothing but money pits.
Milkshakes/zf issues can be over 7 g to fix,diff bushes constantly failing,failing diffs from new,dodgy/noisy manual gearboxes,ive owned a couple of fgs and they have expensive issues trust me,do a search and see for yourself.
My brand new 2012 turbo ute had over 10-15 grand of warranty claims before it had done 15000km,id call that a money pit.
Im saying holden and ford both have issues and fords cost more to fix that's all.
I understand ford guys like to emphasise holdens problems when ford has just as many issues.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #29
ashebxr8

[QUOTE=STINKY NINJA;5715450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashebxr8 View Post

Milkshakes/zf issues can be over 7 g to fix,diff bushes constantly failing,failing diffs from new,dodgy/noisy manual gearboxes,ive owned a couple of fgs and they have expensive issues trust me,do a search and see for yourself.
My brand new 2012 turbo ute had over 10-15 grand of warranty claims before it had done 15000km,id call that a money pit.
Im saying holden and ford both have issues and fords cost more to fix that's all.
I understand ford guys like to emphasise holdens problems when ford has just as many issues.
I have a 2010 fg xr6 six speed auto with a few mods as well. Had it for five years now. I'm very surprised, but the only problems I have had with it is I had to replace the battery after three years. A leaking power steering switch and a brake pedal switch. Overall it would have to be one of the best cars I have owned. Can't see myself selling it for anything else. I also put a transmission cooler on it as soon as the warranty ran out. Been on for three years now no problems.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
ashebxr8

Sorry i forgot upper control arm bushes as well.