Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
lightninGStrike FPV

Default Thoughts on FPV running with GS again??

Well so much for the GS being a limited edition
FPV deciding to use the GS badge for its entry level supercharged model as well not happy. I never bought my GS thinking it will be a collectors model but hey having a limited model was a huge appeal but not anymore. Why couldn't they have left it alone like the Rspec, Cobra, GT40s and Force.
Contacted my local Ford dealer quoted me $25,000 change over for the new supercharged GS. I don't think so Fraud.....

Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninGStrike FPV
FPV deciding to use the GS badge for its entry level supercharged model as well not happy. I never bought my GS thinking it will be a collectors model but hey having a limited model was a huge appeal but not anymore. Why couldn't they have left it alone like the Rspec, Cobra, GT40s and Force.
Contacted my local Ford dealer quoted me $25,000 change over for the new supercharged GS. I don't think so Fraud.....
Yeah I feel for you mate :( when I first heard they were bringing them back I thought there goes the first gen gs owners resale value, but then again yours has the last 302 so they may hold there value

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Fwiw the GT and GS titles both ended a long time ago,i think back to the XYGS i had with fond memorys as i do of the old mans GT, i just sigh and smile every time i see any of the later model efforts all things considered.Fords and many others marketing divisions havent come up with much eh God forbid i ever tried driving my recently aquired XR8 ute like i did the GS,few hundred kms later there would be nothing left let alone would it still actually run,the "Ford roadside assistance" 0800 sticker always makes me chuckle.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS
God forbid i ever tried driving my recently aquired XR8 ute like i did the GS,few hundred kms later there would be nothing left let alone would it still actually run.
How do you get that conclusion. Your XR8 is lightyears ahead of the old GS in every way. Maybe you could explain yourself a little bit better.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
How do you get that conclusion. Your XR8 is lightyears ahead of the old GS in every way. Maybe you could explain yourself a little bit better.
Call me old fashioned but i like panels i can lean on without them caving in.Dont get me wrong i am fond of being back in a Ford after years without but the build quality of these things compared to then is a Tech wise of course its lightyears etc but quality wise To be honest the somewhat plastic interior of my XY was to my disliking after an XT but at least it didnt fall to bits on every second drive like the thing i have.Its rubbish and as i live in a rural area it gets driven hard on bad roads with appalling results,back in the day it didnt affect the XY one bit.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Call me old fashioned but i like panels i can lean on without them caving in.Dont get me wrong i am fond of being back in a Ford after years without but the build quality of these things compared to then is a Tech wise of course its lightyears etc but quality wise To be honest the somewhat plastic interior of my XY was to my disliking after an XT but at least it didnt fall to bits on every second drive like the thing i have.Its rubbish and as i live in a rural area it gets driven hard on bad roads with appalling results,back in the day it didnt affect the XY one bit.
Well then, if the BA is so 'crap', what are you waiting for? Go buy an XY and sell that 'crappy' BA! Geez.

Back on topic, I personally see no problem with the GS becoming mainstream, I think it'll fill in the gap between XR8 and GT. (Duh! :P)

PS: Also remember, HSV has the GXP (although, isn't it a limited edition too? Then again, so is the Commodore International...)
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
Well then, if the BA is so 'crap', what are you waiting for? Go buy an XY and sell that 'crappy' BA! Geez.

Back on topic, I personally see no problem with the GS becoming mainstream, I think it'll fill in the gap between XR8 and GT. (Duh! :P)

PS: Also remember, HSV has the GXP (although, isn't it a limited edition too? Then again, so is the Commodore International...)
Id need to sell 3 of them to even start looking,fair call on the "back on topic" thing though,apologies to the thread starter i got a tad off center.Sorry.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Having owned a couple of old school Fords back when they weren't collectible (an XA Coupe and an XC GXL) and now a BA GT, there's no comparison. In my opinion you couldn't lean on any panels on the XA/XC's because the panels were being held together by rust. The BA handles better, brakes better, is more refined and has an extra 130 odd kw to boot.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Having owned a couple of old school Fords back when they weren't collectible (an XA Coupe and an XC GXL) and now a BA GT, there's no comparison. In my opinion you couldn't lean on any panels on the XA/XC's because the panels were being held together by rust. The BA handles better, brakes better, is more refined and has an extra 130 odd kw to boot.
Be something very wrong if it didnt eh all things considered,never owned an XA but the XT sedan,XW ute and XYGS i owned were all rock solid,the XY got thrashed hard both on sealed and unsealed roads and never once a complaint,same went of the old mans XY ute which in 74 had 351C/dash/grill etc etc the thing was driven hard and never faulted,to me anyway the whole idea of GT was a car to be driven hard no matter what the road etc,jesus the thing was born in Australia.I defy anyone to attempt the same in a similar titled Ford these days,be a toss up what went first the rims or the front spoiler or as i am finding out you would virtually be bought to a standstill to pick up the bits of interior falling off.Dont get me wrong i love the XR8 ute i recently bought even though it feels like a dinosaur compared to a couple of Skylines i owned prior to it but all said n done nothing makes me smile like cocking my ear out the window and hearing that 8.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fwiw the GT and GS titles both ended a long time ago,i think back to the XYGS i had with fond memorys as i do of the old mans GT, i just sigh and smile every time i see any of the later model efforts all things considered.Fords and many others marketing divisions havent come up with much eh God forbid i ever tried driving my recently aquired XR8 ute like i did the GS,few hundred kms later there would be nothing left let alone would it still actually run,the "Ford roadside assistance" 0800 sticker always makes me chuckle.
i jumped in a brand new BA GT determined to see if it was worthy of the badge...... plenty of clutchys, flatty changes tippin it into big wide open corners at 230 and powering out.... it sits proudly in my shed next to two buckets of bolts old GT's holding its head high..... dont forget the old ones were just a bunch of stickers and a harry hotrod motor aswell.........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think FPV had such a positive response from the GS model it seemed pointless to drop the then 'limited edition' name and introduce a new entry model. FPV needed an entry model, the GT should have never been at the bottom of the barrel, so it made sense to continue the model, at least from a new sales point of view. It certainly does suck for 302 BOSS GS models owners, but as sxckevo said, you guys have the last 302 models.

Enjoy your car, it's an absolute corker
Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

NOO!

This means my XC GS loses so much value D':
Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
How do you think the EB & EL GT owners felt when FPV decided they wouldn't limit the numbers of the GT from BA? They probably felt the same as you do now except that those car's values haven't exactly dropped at the same rate the mainstream models of that era have. Correct me if I'm wrong

In addition to that you have the last of the 5.4s and that should mean something, and yes, that specific model (that you have) was/is still limited.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
How do you think the EB & EL GT owners felt when FPV decided they wouldn't limit the numbers of the GT from BA? They probably felt the same as you do now except that those car's values haven't exactly dropped at the same rate the mainstream models of that era have. Correct me if I'm wrong
I wanted to stay out of this one but... Im sorry Falc'man I fail to see the corrolation on the comparison of EB & EL GT to BA GT, there was the whole era of AU in there. Not to metion approx 6 years. Did the XC GT owners feel any different when they heard of EB GT? Not doubt the EB's felt a little unhappy when EL came out... The 5ltr was passed it's used by date when BA ran out. Obviously they were running the now obsolete 5.4.

Thought I certainly agree on the last run 302 5.4 part....

I dont think there is too much of a worry mr lightning strike.... They are different
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
I wanted to stay out of this one but... Im sorry Falc'man I fail to see the corrolation on the comparison of EB & EL GT to BA GT, there was the whole era of AU in there. Not to metion approx 6 years. Did the XC GT owners feel any different when they heard of EB GT? Not doubt the EB's felt a little unhappy when EL came out... The 5ltr was passed it's used by date when BA ran out. Obviously they were running the now obsolete 5.4.

I dont think there is too much of a worry mr lightning strike.... They are different
I can assure you that back in 'them X series' days the last thing that was on anyones mind was either collectability or resale value. People bought them to enjoy and drive.

There are way too many limited runs for things to hold value to any degree in regards to the main stream car manufacturers .... unless you are planning to keep a 302 GS for the next 40 years in pristine order and never drive it?

And also I would think that anyone that got an XC GT would be very excited as there weren't any made so would be priceless no matter what followed afterwards

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
I can assure you that back in 'them X series' days the last thing that was on anyones mind was either collectability or resale value. People bought them to enjoy and drive.

There are way too many limited runs for things to hold value to any degree in regards to the main stream car manufacturers .... unless you are planning to keep a 302 GS for the next 40 years in pristine order and never drive it?

And also I would think that anyone that got an XC GT would be very excited as there weren't any made so would be priceless no matter what followed afterwards
But what I'm saying is, the owners og their respcetive Gt's werent there for resale value. They bought to drive them. & That BA cant compare to EB/EL. Same as X* to EB/EL. Different cars Different era's, different focus on what the car is about.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
I wanted to stay out of this one but... Im sorry Falc'man I fail to see the correlation on the comparison of EB & EL GT to BA GT, there was the whole era of AU in there. Not to metion approx 6 years. Did the XC GT owners feel any different when they heard of EB GT? Not doubt the EB's felt a little unhappy when EL came out... The 5ltr was passed it's used by date when BA ran out. Obviously they were running the now obsolete 5.4.

If you look at it that way then you're right.

What the thread starter is more concerned about is his car's "limited edition" tag: The GS went from LE to a mainstream FPV model, hence my comparison, although, as you point out, the time lag between the EB/EL & BA is a sizeable one, so it wasn't the best comparison. But that's where the correlation is.

Being the first GS in decades, as well as having the last of Boss 5.4 motors, does warrant the LE tag. Moving to a mainstream model would only be a concern to the LE owners, such as lightninGStrike-FPV, had FPV announced the exact same spec - as his GS - would be offered.

Maybe I'm wrong in that I'm not looking at it from an owner's point of view, but if I bought one, it would have been more for the package that was offered. And in essence, the package makes the badge (limited or not) - the badge doesn't make the package.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
lightninGStrike FPV

Will be interesting to see how many GS's are sold to GT's considering the price difference. Lots of mods could be done to the GS for the same money. I wonder if the supercharger is as easy to create HP as the turbos are?
Oh and I guess having the last 5.4 Boss ever build is not so bad, and the GS is a great package I love every moment of driving it.
Would be nice having a factory supercharged V8 with warranty, cant wait for them to come down in price in a year or two.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
landau460
BA MK2 GT

As the post heads my thoughts on the GS good im for the good old badges bring on the GT-HO roo maybe even the 500 all the xt reminded me of was a 40 odd year old falcon range. I dont see why we have to have so much built into a base model that there is not that much more to the top! (might get hammered for that last comment ). Why not have a base model with out most of the bells and whistles and a lot lower price tag.

Fords I've owned

80 escort panelvan, 73 Landau, 73 xa fairmont, 74 Landau, 75 Landau, 75xb falcon, 67 falcon, 80 xd falcon, 94 ed falcon, 05 mk2 GT
landau460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Will be interesting to see how many GS's are sold to GT's considering the price difference. Lots of mods could be done to the GS for the same money. I wonder if the supercharger is as easy to create HP as the turbos are?
Oh and I guess having the last 5.4 Boss ever build is not so bad, and the GS is a great package I love every moment of driving it.
Would be nice having a factory supercharged V8 with warranty, cant wait for them to come down in price in a year or two.
The difference between the two will be if you want much better brakes or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
According to the sales manager at my local dealership the GS is the new XR8 anyway, as only FPV are getting Coyote. Again, this is according to her.
It was gonna be like that, but Ford/FPV worked out that the XR8 still have life with Ford....hopefully G8E as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Dont care bout the name. Its gonna be a great entry level FPV.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

So many FPV GS owners who act like it's the end of the world that FPV aren't limiting numbers...in all honesty how many FGII GS' will they sell? Probably not enough for Joe Average to all of a sudden think "wow that particular model is so common".
So a car FPV first released as a Limited run sells out; and with great reviews
so FPV decide to keep it going.
And all some can do is bag them out for trying to please their customers, and make money.
There's just no pleasing some people is there?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So are you more annoyed that there is a new GS (and it seems to now be a continuing marque) or that the new one is far quicker and in replacing your existing one you will lose a lot of money?

The only thing that limited the number of 5.4 GSs was Euro IV and the number of engines they wanted to move before they could not use them anymore.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The FG1 GS has already taken a big hit of depreciation due to the price they are selling them for now, my dealer up the road has a demo with stuff all kms on it for $42,990 drive away!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
ltd
Force Fed Fords

According to the sales manager at my local dealership the GS is the new XR8 anyway, as only FPV are getting Coyote. Again, this is according to her.

Quote: