Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Move over Porsche and Ferrari, here come the supercars disguised as sedans.

Interesting article; http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10173

Quote:
To the untrained eye, they are relatively discreet. Subtle bulges, vents, big brakes, wide tyres and a low-slung stance are some of the give-aways. But just in case these clues aren't enough, the German cars have four massive exhaust pipes, which are about as subtle as diamond-encrusted cuff links.

While there is a limit to how fast you can travel on public roads, there's no limit to how quickly you can reach the limit. All three of these cars can reach 100kmh in 5 seconds or less. And they go about it different ways.

Mercedes uses supercharging, BMW uses extra cylinders (it's the world's first V10-powered sedan), whereas Holden's performance car division uses simple cubic capacity to get its flagship moving. With a 6.0-litre V8, it's the biggest engine here.

Purists may tut-tut at the inclusion of the humble, homegrown Holden in such esteemed company but the reality is that the HSV Senator - in performance stakes at least - has every right to rub shoulders with the German thoroughbreds. In fact, in our test, the Senator was quicker than the BMW M5 in a straight line in everyday driving.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Yes, saw that article a while ago. To even put the Senator up with the BMW and Merc is a joke...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Yes, saw that article a while ago. To even put the Senator up with the BMW and Merc is a joke...
i didn't read the article but i'm surprised with this comment. what's wrong with comparing a nice Aussie car with the best European ones?
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
i didn't read the article but i'm surprised with this comment. what's wrong with comparing a nice Aussie car with the best European ones?
I agree, some people just think that Aussie cars don't have anything to offer.

Quote:
To save you reaching for the calculator, we've done the sums already. You can have three Senators and some loose change for the same price as a BMW M5 - or you could have three Senators and enough money left over for a Holden Commodore Executive for the same price as a Mercedes CLS 55.

On price, you could say this is not a fair fight. But based on performance the Senator has every right to be considered in this company. The suburban hero is more than capable of taking care of itself in a contest against the suits from the big end of town.

Look at the numbers: 6.0-litre V8 with 297kW of power and 530Nm of torque - more torque than the BMW. The result: a claimed and easily repeatable 0-100kmh time of 5.0 seconds. It's the quickest Australian-made sedan ever built.

Like a lot of things in our backyard, we tend to take homegrown performance cars for granted. It's worth noting that, for a brief period a few years ago, HSV held the mantle of the world's fastest sedan - until Mercedes discovered supercharging. Powered by the same high-output V8 fitted to another performance icon, the Corvette, the Senator is capable of reaching 273kmh if it were ever to be driven on a speed-unlimited autobahn. (The German pair would probably exceed this, if they weren't electronically limited to 250kmh.)
Old 24-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
how bout you go and drive a senator then drive and M5 or E55, the BMW and Merc are most certainly better, but are they worth an extra $180,000 odd thousand for? I dont think so! that money could be better spend on the house
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
how bout you go and drive a senator then drive and M5 or E55, the BMW and Merc are most certainly better, but are they worth an extra $180,000 odd thousand for? I dont think so! that money could be better spend on the house
People who can afford an M5 and E55 rarely look at the HSV option. And from a performance standpoint, it is lightyears behind the M5 and E55. That article uses HSV claimed figues (5.0 sec 0-100km/h for the Senator.. total crock, it'll never hit that).

:
Old 24-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
People who can afford an M5 and E55 rarely look at the HSV option. And from a performance standpoint, it is lightyears behind the M5 and E55. That article uses HSV claimed figues (5.0 sec 0-100km/h for the Senator.. total crock, it'll never hit that).
And you would know this after driving how many of them?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
And you would know this after driving how many of them?
I've driven an E55. No new M5 or VZ Senator though.

:
Old 24-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
yeh but the people buying this sort of car have a bullsh!t amount of disposable income and wouldnt even think twice about paying that sort of dollars for a car.. and their is a lot better quality in a merc than a HSV, maybe not $180k worht but its there..

my old man has a CLK 200 cabriolet which is pretty entry level on the merc side of things, but still cost about $120K or something, stepping into his car after my car (350z track) really highlights the build quality of the mercs.. Ive seen a CL 55 AMG and SL 55 AMG in the showroom and they are just the ultimate cars.. unbe-f'n-lievable... i would sell my house for one and live in it using the winscreen washer as a shower these cars are that sexy mwahahahaha
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

far out thats one long hsv advert... only read the m5 bit coz i love them cars and all Drive do is bag it.

edit... ok read the hsv bit and i stand by my coment.. with stuff like "all it needs is better brakes/transmission/suspension/tyres" and it'l compete with the germans.. well thats like saying that a corolla with a v8 would be fast. wow thats amazing.. a corolla is so good, that if it were an f1 car, it would be as fast as an f1 car. wow!

no mention of quality, just the chrome bits on teh senator making it look a million bucks. i'l bet 50 bucks the test driver was wearing a red cap.

Last edited by clampy; 24-08-2005 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add more without post whoring
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
paul7v7
bring it on

Australian cars have so much more before they even compete with the German beasts. The speed, yeah not important (although those german cars can accelerate quick, weight 2 tonnes and have less power than our cars, go figure). Anyways sure we have power, they have sophistication, style, class, innovation. But then that is what you pay for. Our cars are not there to do that, the HSV is a luxury muscle car. Well this is my opinion anyway.
Old 24-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I alone here? I would much rather own a really nice, brand-spanking-new GT-P or Senator than any Merc or BMW? Seriously, I just much prefer the look, style, sound and image of modern Aussie muscle to the (admittedly super-quick) European yawn-boxes. I say good on ya Australia for producing some of the best cars to ever see the light of day.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
nang3

nah i would definitely prefer a SL/CLS/CL 55 AMG or M5 to a senator or GTP !!!!

given the choice though between the euro car OR a GTP and a cheque for the difference in retail, then i'd take the FPV
Old 24-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This article just proves my point that the media is mainly biased toward Holden, even to the point of having holden ads on their website.

Seriously, a BMW, Merc and an HSV?
That's like those comparisons they do at formula 1 tracks between a 3 series, 7 series and then the Williams F1 car. I know it sounds horrible but I would pan them if they did it with ford too.
Put simply, I can build you a car for $20000 that would blow away the BMW and the Merc, but it would not be all that controllable, stable or safe at high speeds. HSV's answer is similar to this in the sense that there is no adaptive suspension, no active safety devices and no stiffening of the chassis. The build quality is suspect, the balance of the car has a bias toward the front and to be perfectly honest, I would be scared stiff to be in an HSV at 160km/h, let alone 273km/h. HSV or FPV will simply not be as manoeverable as BMW or Merc at high speed, and is probably about 100 more times likely to crash. Crash at speed in a E55 or M5, you got a real good chance. Crash at speed in an HSV; well the last thing that's gonna go through your mind is your ***.

I've worked with a mate who has an HSV maloo ute with an out of hours Pratt and Whitney PT6A attached to it, rated at 1150SHP. Has something like 1600nm of torque as well. He wants to race it, nobody will touch it. Everyone who looks at it and hears it start says it's a deathtrap. It would absolutely eat the E55 or M5 in a straight line, and would make HSV look like a SMART car, but that still doesn't make it anywhere near the league of the big Europeans.

There are reasons why people pay so much for the European Marquees, something along the lines of safety, security, balance, poise, quality, resale value, exclusivety, prestige, comfort etc. HSV versus the top Europeans? Purrlease.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #15
nang3

^^^^ exactly...
Old 24-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm...comparing a Senator to an M5 really isn't as crazy as you think..I had a good blast in a VZ Clubsport (Im 99.9% sure its the same drivetrain) and this thing FLEW.

I have no doubt that in the right hands a LS2 will hit 5 seconds. Until you have driven one dont knock it!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #17
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do some guys have to start the "biased towards holden" bull s**t.

The review is about how the local 'little guy' can keep up with the big honcho's and maybe even dish a bit out to them.

Of course there is differences, but it would be fun to see all three at the drags, don't you think.
And wouldn't it be fun to buy the local product & spend another 30 thou on it.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #18
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

i dont think the hsv (or gt for that matter...) is comparable to the others in anything but acceleration/speed. The german cars have got it all over it in every other department.....
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #19
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

lol i didnt even know they had 7 speeds in cars

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

One important factor to consider when comparing them in speed is that the German cars are engineered to regularly be driven at 180-200km/h+ speeds (read: Autobahn), whereas the HSV is engineered for Australia, ie: 110km/h absolute max. The structural integrity and high speed stability of the other two is light years ahead of anything made here, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, its just part of the reason they're $220,000, not $80,000.

Spending $30,000 modifying the HSV won't bring it to the same level as the other two. Sure, you could make it spank them in a straight line, but methinks the engineers at M and AMG tend to make vehicles quite universally capable, as opposed to being simple drag rockets. It'd take ALOT of money put into a local product to be brought on par with those two.

:
Old 25-08-2005, 12:08 AM   #21
lizardmech

Quote:
One important factor to consider when comparing them in speed is that the German cars are engineered to regularly be driven at 180-200km/h+ speeds (read: Autobahn), whereas the HSV is engineered for Australia, ie: 110km/h absolute max. The structural integrity and high speed stability of the other two is light years ahead of anything made here, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, its just part of the reason they're $220,000, not $80,000.

Spending $30,000 modifying the HSV won't bring it to the same level as the other two. Sure, you could make it spank them in a straight line, but methinks the engineers at M and AMG tend to make vehicles quite universally capable, as opposed to being simple drag rockets. It'd take ALOT of money put into a local product to be brought on par with those two.
I don't think it would cost much compared to the price of these to make a falcon go around the nurburgring faster, with the after market 6.0L alloy block you can get for the 5.4 it wouldn't be that hard to make 500hp+ and you would just need some better brakes, suspension and aerodynamic aids.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #22
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
I don't think it would cost much compared to the price of these to make a falcon go around the nurburgring faster, with the after market 6.0L alloy block you can get for the 5.4 it wouldn't be that hard to make 500hp+ and you would just need some better brakes, suspension and aerodynamic aids.
I wasn't specifically talking about on-track performance....

As a whole, the entire package is engineered for a lesser overall application.

:
Old 25-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #23
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

I mostly agree with you Steffo. Yes you could make a $80,000 car go $200,000 fast, but you wouldn't have the depth of engineering that the more expensive car would. A perfect example is the Evo, here's a $25,000 car costing $70,000 and going $100,000 fast. This is what happens when you make $45,000 worth of drive train, but the interior is still only designed for a $25,000 application.
Apply that to the Falcon (in round figures):
XT = $30,000
Add $40,000 drivetrian = GT
Add $70,000 drivetrain = possible GT-HO
Fairlane Ghia + $70,000 drivetrain = E55/ M5 competitor?

Before you all slap me, yes I've made some generalism's (is that a word), but the basic rules still apply.
Later, Brad....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #24
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree with you on this one - In one of the mag tests a while back they got an XR6 Turbo to do over 300km/h for not many $$$ - however they said it was wandering all over the place, very unstable, felt like it was going to spear off the road ect.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #25
ssj_jaypee
EF POWER IS HERE!

HSV has every right to be compared to top BMW and Merc cars.
I recently took a HSV GTS 300 coupe for a spin (customer brought it into work to get repaired) and I must say not only does it look so much better than those Euro cars on the outside but the interior is really sexy too. Very high quality imo.
No doubt this thing could pull like a freight train also.
For its $100,000 price tag I would prefer a GTS over something much more dearer like an M5.

Mods currently done:
Pacemaker extractors, true dual 2.5" exhaust to a single 3" tip
CSA 16" 5 spoke mags, spoiler, stoneflector side skirts
K&N panel filter
Tickford AU snorkel
ssj_jaypee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #26
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You forget that the Commodore/Statesman is exported to the Middle East which has no speed limit, and I remember reading an article that mentioned that they only know one speed - flat out.

Seriously, do you really think that the Holden engineers sat down & come to the conclusion that 110km/h is the top speed of Australian roads, so we won't over engineer the safety of the structure, and stuff the export market they'll be happy with whatever they get.

Wake up & smell the roses on the other side will ya.

Of course there is a difference, but not "light years."
Old 25-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
You forget that the Commodore/Statesman is exported to the Middle East which has no speed limit, and I remember reading an article that mentioned that they only know one speed - flat out.

Seriously, do you really think that the Holden engineers sat down & come to the conclusion that 110km/h is the top speed of Australian roads, so we won't over engineer the safety of the structure, and stuff the export market they'll be happy with whatever they get.

Wake up & smell the roses on the other side will ya.

Of course there is a difference, but not "light years."
Toyota came to the conclusion that since the highest speed limit in Oz (bar NT) was 110, they chose not to bother tuning the suspension past 140kmh for the latest Camry. Really goes to show that they are the cardigan car company.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #28
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well SSJ, If you were going to use that HSV to its straight line speed potential or even shovel it abit on the freeway I would have to ask you; is yours or another life worth 100K? Because like I said in my previous post, the car is just not designed to be driven over about 140Km/h. Plus, smash and HSV at 140Kmh and I guarantee that you would not survive.

Crash an M or n AMG at the same or greater speed and you will get out and walk away, crying over the damage to the car. That's if in fact you do crash the M or AMG because hey, with all of their progressive and adaptive safety systems such as ESP, Electronic Dampening, automatically adjustable ride height, EBD, ABS, collision avoidance systems such as the sonar on the front which applies the brakes at maximum force, as well as the fact that the cars are stiffer and balanced and many other features, it is hard to imagine one in a fatal accident. Then you wouldn't need the 12 or so airbags as well as safety cell etc to save your behind.

So, is yours or others safety and capacity to drive fast worth an extra 100K?

HSV is the perennial Versace Wannabe, or the fake Rolex you can buy on the street for 50 bucks. And the only real problem is that their alleged ability to go super fast creaps into the psyche of the individuals driving them. The amount of times I have seen people almost lose it in their HSV's is frightening. The amount of accidents I've seen because of prepubescent idiots driving HSV's are horrifying. All because of a super go fast pedal with an ill suited amount of power for an otherwise family car chassis.

Just look at the way HSV and Holden market their cars, donuts in a paddock with some tornado effect?????WTF?
Speeding along a road at really high speed with a catchphrase of "life inside an HSV".???
Curiously Holden is trying to appeal to the shacka demographic, as it is obviously they who buy the cars.
Compare it to ford, who have cars so powerful that they are only idling along with 50 or more police giving slow chase. Or a ute that gets all of the hot women. In these ads, nothing eludes to how fast it goes, or how much grunt for breaking the law it has. Besides, Ford doesn't have an identity crisis whereby every bogan with an executive tries to make it look like an SS, even though its a V6.

HSV - No thanks
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Well SSJ, If you were going to use that HSV to its straight line speed potential or even shovel it abit on the freeway I would have to ask you; is yours or another life worth 100K? Because like I said in my previous post, the car is just not designed to be driven over about 140Km/h. Plus, smash and HSV at 140Kmh and I guarantee that you would not survive.

Crash an M or n AMG at the same or greater speed and you will get out and walk away, crying over the damage to the car. That's if in fact you do crash the M or AMG because hey, with all of their progressive and adaptive safety systems such as ESP, Electronic Dampening, automatically adjustable ride height, EBD, ABS, collision avoidance systems such as the sonar on the front which applies the brakes at maximum force, as well as the fact that the cars are stiffer and balanced and many other features, it is hard to imagine one in a fatal accident. Then you wouldn't need the 12 or so airbags as well as safety cell etc to save your behind.

HSV is the perennial Versace Wannabe, or the fake Rolex you can buy on the street for 50 bucks. And the only real problem is that their alleged ability to go super fast creaps into the psyche of the individuals driving them. The amount of times I have seen people almost lose it in their HSV's is frightening. The amount of accidents I've seen because of prepubescent idiots driving HSV's are horrifying. All because of a super go fast pedal with an ill suited amount of power for an otherwise family car chassis.

Just look at the way HSV and Holden market their cars, donuts in a paddock with some tornado effect?????WTF?
Speeding along a road at really high speed with a catchphrase of "life inside an HSV".???
Curiously Holden is trying to appeal to the shacka demographic, as it is obviously they who buy the cars.
Compare it to ford, who have cars so powerful that they are only idling along with 50 or more police giving slow chase. Or a ute that gets all of the hot women. In these ads, nothing eludes to how fast it goes, or how much grunt for breaking the law it has. Besides, Ford doesn't have an identity crisis whereby every bogan with an executive tries to make it look like an SS, even though its a V6.

HSV - No thanks
I think you've made a very good point, look at the demographic of the average HSV/SS customer compared to that of an XR/GT customer.
I might upset a few people here but HSV/Holden have allways appealed or been marketed in a way to appeal more to the Hoon/bogan/boy racer market.
Ford/FPV on the other hand have developed their cars and marketing plan more towards the slightly older more refined and sophisticated customer.. The cars have a slightly more "euro" look and feel to them.

Old 25-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #30
ssj_jaypee
EF POWER IS HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

HSV - No thanks
Umm yeah, I guess HSV's arent designed to go faster than 140 because they have a top speed of over 260.
They dont use the complete same setup as the commodore.
Better suspension, drivetrain, brakes, steering, tyres, etc.
Plus front/side airbags, EBD, ABS, etc are all standard on them anyway.
I think you just have too much hate towards holden.

Mods currently done:
Pacemaker extractors, true dual 2.5" exhaust to a single 3" tip
CSA 16" 5 spoke mags, spoiler, stoneflector side skirts
K&N panel filter
Tickford AU snorkel
ssj_jaypee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post