Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
liz6
Starter Motor

Default How do you organise 4 weeks holidays?

My husband has his first salary job and we are finding the 4 weeks off per year very restrictive. We have previously had our own business and taken time off as needed. How do people organise their 4 weeks off ? Any tips?

liz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How do you organise 4 weeks holidays?

Are you asking how one arranges it with the boss? Or what to do during the 4 weeks?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Get in early. I booked my holidays as soon as I knew that I would be taking them ~8 months before I took them (I took 9 weeks though).

If he feels that he is going to need to break up the year, divide it into 4, using all the Public Holidays around Christmas / New Years as a bit of a freebie to take longer than a week.

Just as you wouldn't have taken a week off when working for yourselves in the middle of your busiest time, taking time off in the middle of the busiest time is going to be harder on your husbands employer.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First in, first get and even more so for Christmas and Easter. I try to add on to the public holidays so I get that bit longer.

We have Christmas shutdown and they usually want people to take extra as it is quiet and it reduces the annual leave liability so that makes it easier.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's easy
4 years of Teacher's College!
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First, find out if your employer shuts down over Christmas/New Years, because if they do, then there will most likely be two weeks of annual leave right there.
If not, then just give your employer as much notice as possible for when you want to take the leave.
Old 29-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Easy, I don't have a life and mine just keep adding up. I now have 11 weeks owing, although that will come down with the 2 over Chrissy I'm on now.

But seriously, yes if you want to take a large block of time off, like 4 weeks at once, for a planned trip etc. then just give the boss plenty of notice. Especially if your hubby's position at the company isn't easily covered by someone else. The forward notice is even more important if you want time off over the main holiday periods as everybody goes for them.

If you are just inquiring as to the best way to use them then maybe break them up a little through the year. If it's not enough time I'm sure he will be able to take more time if he organises it with his boss, he just wont get paid for it. The 4 weeks per year is the amount of time it is compulsory to be paid for, not the maximum time you are allowed to take off work.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz6 View Post
My husband has his first salary job and we are finding the 4 weeks off per year very restrictive. We have previously had our own business and taken time off as needed. How do people organise their 4 weeks off ? Any tips?
Does the company say that he has to take the 4 weeks when he is due (after 12 months employment say).

With my company I can take annual leave as I want it, be it 4 days or 4 weeks at a time.
Old 29-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Best thing is not to split them up its better to have one decent break(1 month is goooooood)than say 4 single weeks, 1 week break is over before you know it... 4 weeks allows you to put your feet up and not worry about going back within a few days!
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
BF-2K7

gawd you're lucky you even get 4 weeks holiday!! I'm a sub contractor - if I dont work I dont get paid!

Should be thankful for 4 weeks, I'm lucky if I get 4 days off per year!!! - anyways back to work
BF-2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

i just had 9 weeks off straight
went back and did 5 days
then the xmas break
back to work on dayshift for new years eve
then new years day off
then back into it
next holiday will be easter where i'll take on a couple of days over the easter break

get in early and plan ahead
sometimes its hard as you cant do things on a whim
but i book waaaay in advance
been doing it for over ten years so kind of used to it now

i tend to bank it all up (apart from a few single days off here and there) and then go whammo! 2 months off please and come up with some excuse why i need the time off
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
liz6
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117 View Post
That's easy
4 years of Teacher's College!
Thanks for that idea! I am a teacher but his holidays aren't helping!! At least one of us gets time with the 4 kids...
liz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF-2K7 View Post
gawd you're lucky you even get 4 weeks holiday!! I'm a sub contractor - if I dont work I dont get paid!

Should be thankful for 4 weeks, I'm lucky if I get 4 days off per year!!! - anyways back to work
It annoys me me when subbies go on like this especially when they get paid $75/hour and the equivalent employees get $25/hour.....

The extra 50 bucks an hour should cover your holiday's if you manage your affairs properly.

Working in the building game, I've worked out all subbies are poor, even the ones that rock up in $150K+ European cars.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
has his first salary job and we are finding the 4 weeks off per year very restrictive.
I've been onto this for years, work has really encroached on my life style.

I've considered asking my employer to just pay me and not constantly expect me to turn up, so I can spend more time doing what I want and going on holidays.

Not to mention that stupid bank that keeps wanting money for my house, money I could use to go on more holidays, might ask them to stop too.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm self employed and work 12 -14 x 7 (at work now).......I simply take the time, lifes too short, sure it costs me money but I have heard you cant spend it from the grave

to organise 4 weeks is easy, first take one week and extend it.......personally I would like to extend forever but, well, money must come into the equation

subbys do it hard, refuse the work today and you wont get it offered back tomorrow.......I know, I used to hire them

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
BF-2K7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It annoys me me when subbies go on like this especially when they get paid $75/hour and the equivalent employees get $25/hour.....

The extra 50 bucks an hour should cover your holiday's if you manage your affairs properly.

Working in the building game, I've worked out all subbies are poor, even the ones that rock up in $150K+ European cars.
Im so sorry 'We' annoy you - and I wasnt 'going on' (was merely expressing the facts pertaining to the subject) but 'we' have no choice in our chosen field(s) - as for $75 per hr I WISH!! and the 'extra $50 per hr' (if you get it) still doesnt get you actual time off - 'we' physically work through the holiday breaks 'normal' ppl take for granted.

I have to be very careful when I take any time off as Poppa Smurf said "refuse the work today and you wont get it offered back tomorrow" ............ thats the ethos us subbies have to deal with.

Its not good for me to abscond on a holiday during our busiest times, leaves a sour taste in employers mouths and you dont get the work when you return, as someone has taken your place

Dont get me wrong, Im not whinging, its the life I've chosen and its given me all I need to survive and get ahead in life. I have great benefits from the ppl I work for and with (overseas trips and company vehicles with bonuses attached) so its not all doom and gloom.

My point is 4 weeks holiday per year is bliss!! and ppl have problems organising what to to with time off?? c'mon!!
BF-2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
1) Who is going?
2) Where do you want to go?
3) What do you want to spend?
4) What is your comfort level?
5) What do you define as a 'holiday'?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

i take lots of long weekends - 2 or 3 days either side of a weekend really helps.
Also, my employer offers purchased leave - a max of 2 weeks. This gives me 6 weeks leave in total, which I can spread out as needed. Worth checking out if its offered.

Also, plan well ahead. For example, I had already been approved for 3 days leave on Australia day weekend (friday,tues,wed) while nobody else has even realised its a long weekend. I will book for easter & anzac day when I go back next week

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I took a month off (all of December) and I think i'll do it again next year... taking it off in a chunk means you actually get to relax, do the million things you needed to do in the first week and then have a proper holiday.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post