Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
BlackLS

Default LS Advanced Igniton Timing

After getting home last night I thought I'll try adjusting the ignition spark timing, an idea of got from some Mazda guys. After finding my jack does not fit under the car anymore I built a little ramp from 18mm MDF stacked 3 high. Ripped off the drivers front wheel and went to work.

This is a $0 mod that alters how long in advance the ecu sends spark to each plug. Playing around with it can improve efficiency, yield around 2 or 3 kw and push you quicker through the rev range but you can slightly retard to help stop pinging (to run on 91ron) and better low range torque.

Before - Looking at the standard sensor through the drivers front wheel well (the black sensor being held by 2 8mm bolts to the right of the silver pipe bend)
http://grotechlandscape.com/myprofil...e/DSCF0365.jpg

After with sensor moved down.
http://grotechlandscape.com/myprofil...e/DSCF0369.jpg

The movement of the sensor from the middle position to the outer extremities is around +/- 4 degrees. You should be using at least 95RON No Etho to be on the safe side but a lot of people in the US are using the equivelant 91 RON and finding no probs.

Anyways my findings:
There is a slight loss of torque in the bottom end of the rev range 1-2500rpm but not much to notice. The power delivery is a lot smoother now mid range and the tacho catapaults quicker from 4500 to 7000rpm. Quicker to the speed limit? Yes

I am slightly disappointed with the loss of bottom end but the car is at 3100rpm when cruising along the freeway at 110kmh. For $0 the only thing lost was the 15 mins.

BlackLS reccommended?
Yes except if you tend to use the torque lower down over power higher up.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post