Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Just had the scariest moment of my life !!!

I just had the most dreaded experience one could ever have - watching your pride and joy take off down the street with no one behind the wheel and racing towards a solid brick house......

I started as just another messed up day - my FMX had finally decided that 16 years of lugging around my 1800kg 1974 LTD with a 2800 dominator converter and 400hp Cleveland was enough and the front clutches burnt - leaving me with reverse but no foward gears. My mate dropped by with his 100 series V8 Landcruiser and picked up my car trailer. Loading it up went well untill we dicovered when loaded the right side tyres were not pumped up hard enough and looked definatively flat. So we creeped the car around the corner at very low speeds to the servo and pumped them back up from 10 psi to 38psi...

The Landcruiser pulled the trailer and car very effortlessly and we parked the car up the road from the driveway ( I have a 20 degree slope on the road out the front of my house) with the intention of reversing the car into the driveway - down the slope which is 30 degrees. When we went to drive the car off the trailer it decided not to want to start (flat battery) but the slope was enough to roll the car off the trailer so that is what we did.

Until the extractor flanges caught on the lip of end of the trailer the ramps slot in to...

I stayed in the car while my mate and his son tried to pull the car up and over the lip but it was stuck hard. I through the car in gear and put the handbrake on and ran down the house to to get my large trolley jack which I put under the cross brace of the A-frame of the trailer. I am not sure if my mat ereleased the handbrake but he got out to check to see if the extractor flanges had clearance. Next thing you know my car was off the trailer and rolling down the hill : You could hear the ratchet paul on the park clicking away but not holding it. My mate and I sprinted over the car trailer and I grabbed the front guard ( I was on the passenger side) and my mate dived into the driver seat and rammed the shifter into park and jumped on the brakes. While I had hold of it I was pulled 100m down the road - and 200 m later was a T junction with a very sturdy Besa Brick house. I am not sure which would be worse off but I know the way it was taking off it would have been doing at least 60 if we hadn't have stopped it - and if it had of hit
the house......

It would not have been a pretty sight for either.

My car is home safe and the car trailer parked back in it's hidey hole. My heart is still doing 200 beats a minute half an hour afte the fact and no amount of beers has calmed my nerves.....

I hope airing my bad experience stops others from making the same mistake. Never let the person in control of the car get out while the car is coming off the trailer....

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post