Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Torque.... Turbo Terry Vs Turbo Diesel

Ok guys, here's my argument. I haven't been too fussed with my mates giving me lip or caring about towing capacity of a turbo terry. However, they seem 100% sure that a 4.2L turbo diesel is way better for towing... personally i don't give a rats about towing, i won't be towing anything regardless! But i'm 150% sure that a TT will pull a 1.5 tonne trailer/load up a hill or over a course quicker then a 4.2L turbo diesel patrol.... A TT will do it easier, and quicker... not worrying about fuel economy.

I agree that diesel cars will be more fuel efficient in doing the same work... This doesn't automatically mean they're better for towing though...

However, the argument continues... They also suggest that a diesel will tow better and get the 'object' off the line easier... Again i disagree, 480Nm is still 480Nm, and it peaks very early in the TT, not to mention a diesel car will usually have different gearing (1st/2nd gear revs out quickly), making it feel like it does it easier.

My argument is this: If a TT has 480Nm, and 245kw, and a patrol has 175kw and 480Nm (made up figures), then the TT is surely going to tow just as well, plus do it faster... Fuel economy is not an issue here...

Am i missing something here or what???? I understand that a turbo diesel will be a torque monster, but it'll usually lack KW (top end power), on the same token a turbo terry will be a torque monster but still have the KW (top end) to keep it going (rev harder and keep accelerating).

So, at the end of the day, towing a 1.5 tonne trailer, which is better? Remember fuel economy is not an issue... Surely a TT is the winner?

It's horses for courses, but at the end of the day a TT will tow as much if not more, and still accelerate a ***** load quicker, is this not correct?? Fuel economy will be better in the diesel, but this is not being considered as a measure of success...

jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post